SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ruthieg__tx

Saw on TV ..Hatchery

ruthieg__tx
18 years ago

wow I saw a short clip on how things work at a hatchery and it is just amazing to me that those poor little chicks even survive all of the manhandling that they get at the hatchery...when the chicks come out of the big incubators they are in huge plastic boxes, they are then dumped (yes I mean poured out eggs and chicks and nothing about it was carfully done) onto conveyer belts that are actually rotating cylinders that allow the chicks to fall to regular conveyers below and then the eggs move on to another place,....they also showed how the chicks are sexed and after being sexed they are tossed (flipped or flung might be better words) down seperate chutes..yes tossed down chutes onto conveyer belts that takes them to boxes..I always thought that the sexing was done by looking at their bu tts and I was soooooo wrong...they look at the wing feathers....if the wing feathers are all the same length...like this...llllllll then it is a female...but if they look like this lilililili then it is a male....it was a very interesting bit...

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH