SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whitecloudfarm

Two baby goats without their mom

whitecloudfarm
15 years ago

We have two baby pygmy goats, a little over two weeks old, and the mother died over the weekend. I think from complications from the birth (a third baby was breech and did not survive). The babies are healthy, fed off their mother for two weeks and we have been bottle feeding them for four days now. They seem to be doing well, but would like to know what to watch for.

At first, I did not think they were getting enough milk from bottle feeding, but they seem to be taking in much more now that they are used to the bottle. We are using a powder milk replacer for lambs and goats. They are already eating hay and leaves. I also started to give them some pellets soaked in the milk replacer, and mashed apples in the milk replacer. I started giving them small amounts of this solid food because I didn't think they were getting enough from the bottle at first and they liked to eat it. Now that they are doing better on the bottle, I only give them small amounts of this solid food. We feed them the bottle at least four times a day.

I have read alot on this forum about baby goats, floppy kid syndrome, vitamin deficency, etc. But where can I buy the supplements. A website?

Any experience you may have will be helpful. Just want to know what to watch for and be prepared. Is there a website about goats?

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County