SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ecarson_gw

My new colored concrete is turning black...with stripes!

ecarson
15 years ago

We had a new concrete patio and redwood cover installed this summer. The patio is colored concrete, a rose/terra cotta shade. The patio cover is unpainted redwood. After the first rains of the season, we now have a black and rose plaid patio. It's hideous. The black stripes perfectly align with the rafters and slats of the patio. In areas where the redwood/water mixture could not directly hit the patio (e.g., under furniture), the black is either non-existent or more diffuse. It does not seem to be a mildew issue (no relation between black and shady areas), but rather seems to be a chemical reaction between something in the wood and the colored concrete.

The contractor suggested using a muriatic acid wash to clean it, although I understand this can also really damage the concrete (and I imagine it would wreak havoc on the grout in the perimeter tiles, too...). I also understand this stuff is very toxic and you have to contain the run-off and take that water to a hazardous waste facility. We have a huge patio, with drains nearby, so I'm not exactly sure how we'd do that.

Has anyone seen this before? Does muriatic acid sound like the best solution? Are there professionals that do this sort of thing--in a way that protects the environment, as well as the perimeter landscaping--and if so, what are they called or who do I look for?

On a related note, should the contractor bear some responsibility for this? It seems unimaginable to me that after tens of thousands of dollars for landscaping we should be out of luck when the first rain leads to unsightly staining (I don't have photos yet, but trust me, it's REALLY bad). The same contractor installed both the concrete and the wood cover, so shouldn't he be responsible if there's a chemical reaction between the two?

Thanks for any feedback out there,

Eli

Comments (7)