SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beanie34_gw

argh update: help! new concrete stairs improperly installed

beanie34
16 years ago

To recap: back in October, I hired a contractor to install a front flagstone mortared walkway (turned out fine) and to replace a set of garden steps with a concrete set of steps.

The steps turned out badly (very uneven rises) and the consensus of the forum here was that the contractor should rip them out & redo. I talked to him and he agreed to demo and redo (verbally, on the phone). He talked about making them a different # of steps, which I didn't really get what he meant (mistake there). I wasn't home when he came by to measure them, but was pleased that he seemed to agree they were incorrect (especially a big 2" rise difference in the middle) and agreed to correct the problem. It probably helped that I put a stop payment on the final check.

Three weeks later, they come by, demo (jack hammer) the second and third step only, build a form & pour concrete, which extends the first tread, increases the first and second rise, reducing the six steps to 5. I can't believe it. I haven't taken the time to measure things yet, so i don't know how off the tread length will be (maybe it's ok the top one is longer??). What bothers me most is:

1) the likelyhood that the meeting points between new & old concrete won't withstand wear (will crack & separate)

2) this does nothing to solve the 1/2 to 1 inch variation in the lower 3 steps

What would you do? Fire contractor? Ask for refund? Say ok but demand a warranty?

I don't want to ask him to do it over (again) because contractor & I clearly have a communication problem.

Any advice?? sigh.

beanie

below is link to previous discussion

Here is a link that might be useful: help! new concrete stairs improperly installed

Comments (12)