SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ironbelly1

Hardscape: Static vs Non-static

ironbelly1
17 years ago

Again this year, I attended the Herbaceous Perennial Symposium; which is held annually on the Iowa State University campus. "From Ordinary to Extraordinary" was the presentation given by landscape designer, Craig Bergman of Wilmette, Illinois. This unassuming man gave a resplendent presentation on landscape design. Of course, there were a lot of "eye candy" photos. In addition, he described things with remarkable insight and retrospect. Although many of the landscapes featured were high-end estates, his descriptions of the "hows and whys" were on a personal level that fully engaged his audience.

I took particular note of a side comment he made while responding to a question from the audience. The question was, "What is the best way to incorporate pieces of hardscape into a landscape?" His formal response was something like you can garner from watching any P. Allen Smith TV show. However, he went on to describe how objects placed into a garden (statue, urn, birdbath, etc.) actually work an observation I had never heard before. Craig noted that plants in a garden are never static. They continue to change throughout the growing season. Hardscape is static and does not change at all. There is something subconsciously comforting about things that are familiar. When hardscape objects really begin to work in a garden setting is when the two elements of change and non-change are juxtaposed in the same area. In other words, nestle those taller plants that move in the breeze right up against that birdbath (or whatever). They esthetically feed and compliment each other. That nugget of design wisdom made the whole trip worthwhile.

Any other thoughts of note on placing hardscape elements in the landscape?

IronBelly

Comments (32)