SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
msjay2u

what happens if a chicken gets shocked?

msjay2u
15 years ago

I been letting my chickens out lately and had a little area with a 4' fence up. Little did I know the cochin can fly pretty well and she disregards the fence and jumps over it. Today I was out in the yard cleaning up everything and let them out to roam around freely. The chickens were out scratching and digging pretty close to me.

I took a rest in my little gazebo which is not far from the goats hot wire fence and the chickens followed me over there too. Lucy, (the cochin) hit the fence and screamed and flew off of it. She immediately started going towards her pen but it was like she was drunk or something by the way she was staggering. She was clearly stunned.

She stopped like she was gathering herself then tried to walk a little further fell, got back up, and drunkenly made her way back to the pen. I had put some treats in there for them so she sat in front of the tray looking at it and not moving just swerving like she was dizzy. She finally started pecking at the food. I closed them up in the pen. When I came back about 5 minutes later she was walking normally and drinking water. She looked okay but it is getting dark so I might not have been able to see any other signs of distress.

Should I be worried that I am going to find a dead chicken in the morning? Or worse yet find her half eaten by the other hen Ethel?

I know someone had mentioned you can use a howtire around the chicken coop so I assumed it was okay to let her be near it. Once zapped and hopefullly never again was my thinking. Or did they mean hot wire on the other side of the fence to keep predators out, not to keep the chickens in. Has anyone else's chickens got zapped by a hotwire and if so what happened. I have 5 strands hot over 1/2 acre and the box is for 1 mile.

Comments (11)