SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moonstarr15

Is this transplant shock? What can I do?

moonstarr
10 years ago

Hi everyone! I'm new to posting in this forum, although I have browsed before when looking for information.

A bit of background: I had a Schubert Chokecherry planted last Tuesday (which ended up being the hottest day so far of the year ... just over 30 degrees. I realize it wasn't the best day to plant, but that's when he planted it). We had this tree (and an Autumn Blaze Maple) professionally planted. Because he got the trees at his discount at the nursery, there isn't a warranty apparently. The maple appears to be doing well, but the chokecherry is showing signs of transplant shock? I'm not really sure. I've tried to get in touch with him to have him take a look so I can research what I can do to help it get healthy again, but so far no luck.

Anyway! I researched online and thought it might be transplant shock? The first day it was planted, the leaves were very droopy. I gave it some water the first day and the next day the top appeared to perk up a bit, but then the leaves started turning colour, curling up a bit and a couple fell off (only 3 so far). Since it's been planted, I've checked the moisture everyday (with a moisture metre) and watered it a bit everyday. Today it's looking a bit droopy again, even though we had a decent rain yesterday. Two days after it was planted, I did add about 2" of bark mulch around the base (keeping it 2" away from the trunk).

I have some photos linked here ...

http://s695.photobucket.com/user/moonstarr69_album/library/Schubert%20Chokecherry?sort=3&page=1

The photo of the full tree was taken the night it was planted where you can see how droopy the leaves were. The other photos were taken the day after it was planted. The leaves are still looking about the same. There is also a photo of the trunk where there is this big gouge out of it. Is that something we need to be concerned about? I'm assuming it happened in transport?

My questions are:
1. Is this transplant shock or something else?
2. What can I do to try to nurse it back to health?
3. Approximately how long might it take to get it healthy again? On average?
4. The big gouge out of the trunk ... do we need to worry about that or can it heal?

Thanks so much for any help you can offer me. These two trees are the first trees I've had planted, so I'm trying to learn as much as I can. :)

Comments (21)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor