SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
frankie_in_zone_7

Don't make big decisions in August, maybe

Frankie_in_zone_7
17 years ago

Just a month ago I was wandering around my yard threatening to pull out half of the shrubs and plants as being unable to survive the summer heat and drought. A lot of things just looked sad.

Now a month into milder temperatures and several good rains, most everything is looking quite frisky, except a few things planted in late spring that I didn't water enough. Some of these might have been poor choices to begin with but others just needed more help getting first established, and still others showing that maybe August isn't their best month, but for the rest of the year they do great.

In addition, it's obviously more fun to be outside now, and I remember why I have a garden in the first place.

I can look back and see what things looked chipper then and try to capitalize on them some more, and plan for water needs and usage, but still it wouldn't have been right to focus on those August beauties exclusively, since they would not necessarily shine all the other months of the year, either.

Point is that some aspects of seasons in the garden, like moods, may just need to be endured, or ignored, or at least not overreacted to. Balance, balance.

Comment (1)