SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wordwiz_gw

A beautiful day in the neighborhood (garden!)

wordwiz
12 years ago

The ground was a bit moist, especially this morning but I'll trade a few clay balls for the opportunity to finally get some stuff planted. Tilled a bunch of ground yesterday and let it sit. Tilled it again early this morning - that's one reason it was not quite as dry as I would have preferred, but rain was predicted by noon. Ran out of tilled ground before I ran out of seeds and time, so tilled another 6-foot wide area. It too, was a bit damp but not too much so.

Planted 125 feet of potatoes (Yukon Gold and Kinnebeck) and 80 feet of Kentucky Blue Pole Beans.

The rains came, albeit about four hours later than predicted. Believe it or not, the garden needed it. I had planted a lot of strawberries, carrots, sugar snap peas (transplants), some onions and basil that had not received any significant rain since going in the ground. I also had tomatoes, lettuce, peppers, more strawberries, three blackberry and five raspberry bushes and two cherry trees that were starting to look thirsty. Plus, I had side-dressed the tomatoes and lettuce earlier this week (Tomato-tone and Blood Meal) so the rain will help that also.

Hopefully, this is the start to something good!

Mike

Comments (5)