SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vera_eastern_wa

Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood!

vera_eastern_wa
16 years ago

What a beautiful sunny warm day today and boy did I see it all!! I seen ladybugs, butterflies, paper wasps, ants, beetles, spiders, house flies, earwigs, boxelder bugs,other true bugs and yes of course nasty slugs. Let me tell you though, I was grateful to see ever last one of them!! It was supposed to be 70 today, but I think it got even a little warmer than that and tomorrow is supposed to warmer yet....ahhhhhh. Starting Monday though their saying a drop back down into the the upper 40's and 50's with rain, but I'll enjoy it while it lasts LOL! The above freezing lows for the 10 day outlook I can't complain about though LOL!

The only new germination today was the Bunny Tail Grass and then more sprouts in the containers that already started, but I'll take it! I did find some self-sown Petunia popping up in my wooden planter and several Clarkia in one south facing bed...that was pretty cool! My Daffodil are showing color and ready to burst open any day now too.

I would usually wait a bit longer but I spent some time preparing the area where the Okra are planned to go and got the plastic all laid down...I did the same for the melon and pumpkin area after I made the hills. The soil was nice and workable; not too wet and I thought I better go ahead and do it since more rain is coming next week. I also got out in my prairie bed and cut all the Big Bluestem and Little Bluestem grasses back so the Rudbeckia seedlings can get more light as well as the Coreopsis lanceolata, Blue Flax, Monarda, Ratibida, ect. out there. I even set out my Poinsettia and blooming Geranium for a little fresh air...I could have sworn I heard them giggling LOL!

Many plants are coming to life: Bleeding Heart...just expanded the first few leaves! Agastache, Hyssop, Aster laevis, Blue Sea Holly, Penstemon 'Husker's Red', Shasta Daisy and Red Russian Kale all from last year. Then lots of older ones: Maltese Cross, Coreopsis, Gaillardia, Monarda, Catmint, Lemon Balm, Thyme, Hollyhock, Maximilian Sunflower, Echinacea pupurea (no E. angustifolia yet), Feverfew, Yarrow (even the 2 huge clumps that got ran over by the city snow plow!), Alyssum 'Gold Dust' (lots of flower buds), Dianthus (lots of flower buds), Lavender and the Flowering Quince is leafing out...too young to flower yet. And speaking of Quince there is a HUGE planting kaddy-corner to me and the other day I noticed it still had lots of fruits still attached. You already know what I'm thinking LOL! Seeds should be picked from really ripe fruits so I plan on picking a bunch if anyone is interested in seed.

Tomorrow I'm considering making another bed or expanding an existing one...probably will just expand :D

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!