SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirtdoctortoo

a commentary as a homeowner

dirtdoctortoo
15 years ago

Warning this is a long post and a semi-rant

Yes, there are many what do I plant here and "help me" posts. Some I open. Some I don't. Maybe I'll learn something like what do you do with those low windows on a split level that provides privacy without making it cave dark inside. May be not.

The problem as a homeowner is I may know how to garden but not how to design. My gardening efforts were more about tomatoes, corn and some petunias out front than how to avoid the hodgepodge that I have and enhance the functionality of my yard. As a newcomer sometimes its hard to know what you don't know and how to find out.

Why?

1. Magazines deceive. They run long on "build this fountain in one day" and short on why build it at all. Maybe you want water noise to block traffic noise or you like how water flashes in the sun. These are equally valid purposes. So are veggies, pretty flowers or disguising your neighbor's ugly garage. A good photographer can make almost any yard look good as well. We need a reality check.

2. Books My library has maybe 10 books on gardens and design. I can learn how to grow roses or lay a flagstone path but not about public, private and utility area of my yard. Buying books unseen is uncertain and expensive.

3. Oversimplification One solution does not fit all. This is much more complex that I thought it was. I really respect the pros and hobbyists that share their knowledge with a relative newcomer like me.

4. Advertising Let's not forget that ads are very powerful. If they weren't they wouldn't exist. For many of us what a nice yard looks like is the Menards ad. I didn't know any better. I'm now starting to understand the underlying concepts. Well, sort of. I know about repetion to tie the yard together but I never seem to quite pull it off. I get distracted and buy something that looks appealing.

5. and finally Fads/Availability ie Endless Summer hydrangea Knock out roses and precast retaining wall blocks. I'm sorry but Raz-ma-taz coneflowers are ugly and weird. But I can get them.

Lament aside, I am enjoying learning a little bit more about design. My yard is more enjoyable and functional as a result. Professional? Nah. Mine? Yeah.

Maria

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions