SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karinl_gw

'round stones ringing a flower bed next to grass'

karinl
16 years ago

Madtripper recently mentioned "round stones ringing a flower bed next to grass" as an example of impractical design, and I agree entirely, except that I am putting in a stone-edged raised bed and think grass will end up being the adjacent surface, unless I can think of something else. Since it's common enough (island beds ringed with stone often sit in the middle of lawns), can we review the ways that this can be made to "work," that is, to achieve the approximate look without creating the maintenance headache?

I'll start with something I did where my rock-boundaried hellstrip meets the neighbour's grass: I installed a length of plastic edging just outside the rocks, and in each space where two rocks meet I planted a little ground cover that will spread; a primula here, a saxifrage there. It works in that the grass cannot creep quite as readily into the bed, and in that the neighbour's mower, on the odd occasion that they've used it, can cut most of their grass; it works less in that it still requires hand trimming occasionally, but at least I don't have to go between the rocks with scissors! Plus, it's a short stretch. It probably wouldn't be a workable solution for more than a few feet.

Other ideas?

KarinL

Comments (11)