SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oscarlet

Black thumb needs help with raised beds

oscarlet
10 years ago

I am really good at killing plants, but I want to try one last time to do this. I'd really like to grow some herbs and veggies for my kids to eat. DS#1 in particular likes parsley and kale.

My husband and son have built me two (of three) boxes to go outside of our house (front garden) where the dogs can't charge over them. They are 4x4 each and there will be a 2x4 as well. I think the yard faces NW. We are in coastal San Diego so it is very very rare we get a frost and weather is generally mild and not too hot. The boxes are shaded until about 11am.

I have killed mint five times (plus many other unfortunate plants) so DH is going to put in programmed irrigation with ??drip?? so that hopefully I won't either drown or dehydrate my poor plants.

I have lavender and rosemary and chives elsewhere so don't need those. Any other ideas? What is really easy and likely to survive my "care"?

Also what should I fill them with? I have very little topsoil over most of my garden, the subsoil is sandy sort of stuff but holds water like you have a bucket in the ground. It isn't like the clay we had at my childhood home though and is like concrete when it dries (seriously, you need a jackhammer to get through it, a bobcat didn't work).

We can get free compost from the landfill that they say is certified (see here http://www.sandiego.gov/environmental-services/pdf/miramar/CertifiedCompost.pdf), we can also get mulch. I can get sheets of cardboard from costco or ikea. Small amounts of coffee grounds from starbucks and plenty of spent mushroom compost from a local farm. I also have a small amount of (mainly vegetable peelings and eggs boxes/cardboard) compost from the bin in our back garden that we never empty and just gets added to.

I could also buy something if necessary, but prefer not to :)

Thank you for your advice and help!

Comments (18)