SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ktm11990_gw

Beach Sand topper dilemma.

11 years ago

I have a small 15' x 30' front yard that is mainly beach sand. We just finished a major home renovation and are starting from square one with the yard. I need help with ideas for the surface material.

I want to create a casual, modern and beachy feel. I have some ideas about what I want to plant (melaleuca tree, echium, grasses, succulents) and how to do that (incorporate lots of organic matter into my sand). (Thanks to those who gave me advice previously!) I will probably pour a concrete pad as path from the gate to the door and maybe press some stones or shells into it. I may integrate a few large pots into the design for fun. But I have no idea how to deal with the top layer. Gravel? Mulch? Decomposed granite?

I am sick of living with sand in the house all the time and, at any rate, the sand is kind of grimy and mixed with dirt so it's not very nice. The house is separated from the actual beach by a couple hundred feet of pavement, but we do get quite a bit of sand blowing in on windy days and this eventually builds up. Would decomposed granite just get covered by the and and be a waste? Would gravel be a good choice as the sand would sink through it or would it just get buried? Would organic mulch be better as it would eventually amend my "soil" and I could just add layers to the top if it got too muddled with the beach sand after a storm? If so, what kind of mulch?

Any ideas or experience would be welcome. Thanks!

Comments (3)