SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mjsee_gw

Garden Center Rant...or: Just buy SILK!

16 years ago

Y'all will have to indulge me. It was 101 today. We are in the middle of a heinous drought...and a customer wanted:

A colorful plant that would bloom in full shade, that the deer wouldn't touch, that was evergreen, and was drought tolerant. In an eight inch pot. Oh, and she needed four of them. Exactly the same size.

I showed her ceratostigma (hardy plumbago)--that wasn't going to work. I showed her pink lamium (deadnettle)--not showy enough. I even showed her the Carex phyllocephala ('Sparkler' Carex) I had squirreled away for myself...too stiff. You'd have been proud of me. I DIDN'T tell her to go buy silk plants at Michaels. But I wanted to. Instead I told her to come back Friday morning. The heat is supposed to break, and we've actually ordered stuff. (We kept our orders small last week because, honestly, people shouldn't be BUYING plants.)

But I can't guarantee that the deer won't eat any of it. I saw them nibbling my lantana this morning. I assume it gave them terrible tummy aches...it's poisonous. (Though maybe not to deer?) Pray for rain, people. It's bad down here.

Comments (9)