SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
galinas_hs

Bug detective needed)

galinas
9 years ago

hello garden detectives!

I am on a mission to catch(or at least identify) a very annoying pest in my garden. All started with my young cabbages started from seeds under tulle cover in the garden. When plants got first true leaves I first noticed big holes on the side of them. Then several plants were eaten from the bottom up - like somebody chewed whole steam and let the leaves just fall. I inspected for slugs, cutworms at night and didn't find any. I covered my survived cabbages with plastic bottles with top and bottom cut and damage stopped. So I though I won. Then I started to see the same thing - eaten stem and leaves left alone on the turnips(under tulle cover ), young lettuce was eaten one by one... I lost 2 baby alpine strawberry plants started from seeds as well. An again, not any indication on the pest presence. All beds are free of any weeds. From what I red about it it could be cutworms or grubs(I see some when I dig in spring and kill every single one I find)(Though I really don't understand how they come out of the soil to it the stem without any holes made around the plant eaten, because the root is actually still in the ground!). And I couldn't find any bugs on the soil at all. Anybody knows for sure what these pests are? And how to fight them?

Comments (12)