SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
succeed_gw

Recommend to Fill Gap Behind Bushes

succeed
10 years ago

I've attached a picture of my house with a view from the street. There is a row of junipers, then a row with a sand cherry and cedars, and then the porch railing.
There used to be a dogwood on either side of the sand cherry, but we moved those last weekend because everything was way too crowded.
Over the years, the dogwoods and sand cherry had all grown away from the house and started leaning forward, in search of sunlight (the cedars create shade).
So, the sand cherry is now leaning forward, and the 2 dogwoods are gone, and now there are 2 rather large empty gaps right in front of my porch railing. The gaps are not visible from the street, but they are an eyesore every time I come out my front door. And, already a weed has found it's way into this newly empty area.
What does one usually fill that type of gap with? A ground cover like periwinkle? Some perennials like hosta? A small shrub (that will stay small and not crowd out the sand cherry again)? I'm having a difficult time imagining what can go into these gaps.
I'll post a couple of pictures of the gaps, so hopefully you'll understand what I'm talking about.
Thanks for any advice you can provide.
P.S. Yes, I know the sand cherry looks pretty dismal now, but I'm hoping that with the dogwoods gone, the sand cherry can fill in next summer.

Comments (25)