SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dianepmt_gw

Fencing Decision, Including Neighbor / Weed Overgrowth Issue

dianepmt
16 years ago

I finally got a beautiful, interesting and diverse front garden in, after much agonizing. It looks gorgeous, and I I think I'm ready to tackle the back yard next spring.

It's a totally blank slate, and I want to keep it simple for low maintenance, including removing the entire lawn (small city lot). Lots of hardscape and a zen feel, probably.

There is an ugly chainlink fence all the way around, which I think I could get the neighbors to sign off on having removed (at our expense), and we were thinking of putting up shadowbox wood fencing, budget permitting.

My concern is the house directly behind us is a rental, and the yard loaded with fast-growing sumac and various weeds. Their old wood fence (which they had butted up to the chain link - impossible to maintain the weeds between) keeps falling over, and assuming they'll agree to a shared fence (we'd pay for it) for that section of back perimeter, if they don't maintain overgrowth on their side of it (the likely scenario), will the fence be excessively damaged by these vigorous weeds pushing through it, and are we likely to have a continual problem?

Either way, I assume it needs to be stained and sealed every few years, and we can only do the side facing our yard unless the neighbors would all chip in to take care of what faces their property (again, doubtful) or let us do it (a lot of work). Any thoughts on this fencing idea?

I had thought of a "green fence," i.e. planting along the perimeter to just conceal the chain link, but I think the weed bleed-through might be even worse, and it's such a small yard, it would take up a lot of space unless they were very vertical and narrow.

We would really like to create a little back yard oasis, and the views are pretty bad, so the higher and and denser, the better.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Comments (18)