SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
firstyear_gw

Eggplant Leaves turning deep purple

firstyear
14 years ago

I have a bed where I have planted tomatoes, eggplant, hot peppers and cucumbers (transplants) over the last two weeks. The whole bed is fertilized with tomato-tone as the orginal plan was just tomatoes that changed at the last minute.

Although we've had some nights that have dipped into the mid and high 40's over the last week, everything is growing, albeit slowly in some cases. Stupice tomatoes have put out flowers in the past few days.

Background aside, I noticed about 3 days ago the entire new leaves, not just the veins, coming in on an Ichiban eggplant were a deep, dark purple. Each day, the older leaves have been turning purple from the top of the plant on down as well. The plant is continuing to grow...the new dark purple leaves are definitely larger each day. The strange thing is there is a Black Beauty eggplant about 18 inches away that is also growing and still perfectly green.

I would think if it was a nutrient deficiency or the cold, the other eggplant would be affected as well. I direct seeded a couple cucumbers in the bed a week ago and today the first one is popping up, so I'm guessing the soil isn't too cold either. The one thing we have had in the last week since planting have been 2 or 3 very windy days (gusts up to 40 or 50). Wondering if maybe this plant took some root damage, but it doesn't seem unsteady in the ground. Any thoughts?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County