SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jbrooks544

any way to reinforce old, leaning railroad tie retaining wall?

jbrooks544
12 years ago

I own a unit at an office condo complex and am on the condo board/committee. It is about 30 years old and has about a 200' retaining wall that has started slightly leaning in toward the parking lot. I'm wondering if anyone knows a way to reinforce it with steel piles, or something relatively cheap, so that the whole thing doesn't have to be undone/re-done at very high expense.

For most of the 200' there are two levels of railroad ties. right in front of where cars park, the wall goes up to about 3' high. Then the bank goes horizontally back for about 4 feet and there is another, higher 3'. Generally, almost all of the railroad ties are fine. only a few, here and there need replacing from deterioration. The main problem is the spikes holding the deadmen, or the deadmen themselves have slipped and the wall is probably 2" out of plumb over its 3' height. I imagine being able to have someone drive in steel piles every 4' or so to stop it from tilting any more. Has anyone heard of doing this, or have any other ideas? I think replacing it all isn't really necessary, as the wall is intact and it would probably cost mega money. Who would I call/contact to do piles? It is all pure sand, very well drained soil. Thanks in advance for your thoughts/experience

Comments (4)