SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jtmacc99

Advice on building a stone ramp into my shed.

jtmacc99
16 years ago

I'm sorry to not give a better picture, but this is the only one I have handy. As you can see on the left, my shed is about 8 inches above the ground, and in order to get my lawnmower in it, I am currently using a couple of three foot long 2X8 boards with a $20 ramp kit attached to the ends. I just sold the tractor seen in this picture and replaced it with a zero turn mower. While the ZTR mower cuts my lawn in half the time, it is almost impossible to push in a straight line.

Therefore, my only chance of getting into my shed is to drive it in, and I am NOT going to attempt that on a couple of 2X8 boards. I'm too old to be that stupid anymore.

So, I'd like to build a nice stone ramp up into the shed. The shed opening is 56" and I would like the incline to extend out to a similar distance. (A five foot incline will provide enough clearance for the mower deck to pass over without hitting bottom.)

The landscaping around the base of the shed, which is sadly completely obscured in this photo, is a simple four foot wide bed, straight along the sides of the shed and then a half circle in the front on each side of the door. There is a boxwood in each of the half circles and three boxwoods lining each side.

So, I need some advice on how to go about this project.

First, what would you recommend I use for the actual stone surface? I don't particularly care about the type of stone I end up using, but I thought that square cut bluestone would probably be easy to work with for a straight ramp, and it would also match with stone used elsewhere in the property. I could also see using a manufactured concrete paver, which would also match a retaining wall by my driveway.

Second, I would also like your thoughts on building a straight (sqare) ramp as opposed to something that spreads out at the bottom. I would think that it would probably look a lot nicer if I had the ramp fan out at the bottom. I also think that given my skill set, I would have a lot better chance of building a nice straight ramp and softening up the edges by building up the surrounding beds to touch the ramp and then putting in some nice low growing ornamental grasses or something like that.

Third, I know that I want to use a crushed stone type product to be the layer directly below whatever stone or paver I choose to use, but I don't know if I should use something special to build up the ground below the stone level. It doesn't seem like I'll need to raise the ground that much before I am ready to add the crushed stone, so would it be okay to use ordinary backfill type soil, or am I going to need to purchase some sort of stone?

Thank you all for your patience with this long post, and for the time you spend replying!

John

{{gwi:48431}}

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio