SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gellchom

portable ramp advice needed

gellchom
8 years ago

Well, my MIL is in her assisted living apartment and adjusting well, although of course there is an adjustment period. We are waiting to fine tune her level of care until the doctors and physical and occupational therapists let us know what her needs truly are.

Anyway, my question today (one of many I will have, I'm sure) is about getting her in and out of our house when she comes over. We have a very inaccessible house, unfortunately. It was just a mess the other day; she had to sit on her rear backward on each step and we had to lift her over each one. She's pretty heavy even for both of us to lift her over, and I am sure I can't do it myself.

She can stand and walk some, especially with her walker, and she can manage to get down steps, so I wonder if we can't manually lift one of her feet up onto a step, have her lean forward to transfer her weight to it gradually, and then lift the other one for her. Does that sound like it might work, or do you think it would still be too hard for her to shift her weight up?

I'm thinking that maybe what we should do is get a portable ramp for the front steps. There are two sets of 2-3 steps and then a short step up into the house; I'm figuring we could just get a short one and move it along as we go. I know the recommended ratio is 12":1"; we might be able to get by with a bit less, especially as we don't need her to do it in a wheelchair (yet).

Does that sound like it would work? What advice do you have for me, about ramps or other thoughts?

Thanks so much in advance.

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH