SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joeschmoe80

some lawn alternatives and other landscaping ideas

joeschmoe80
11 years ago

I'm thinking of doing something like, a lawn in the front only, maybe a few grassy areas in back, but trying to go with something lower maintenance.

Aside from some areas of hardscaping, what are some things I can do? I don't need desert plants, since 4 out of 5 Ohio summers have decent rainfall (this is the exception), but something that can tolerate drought when established wtihout turning to hay would be nice. I'm not opposed to watering deeply and infrequently if need be, but less so than a lawn would require.

So...here are some things I'd be looking for plantwise:

1. Low growing, green groundcovers.

2. Various types of landscape plants for beds, perennials or shrubs that can tolerate what passes for a drought in Ohio, but is also happy(er) when we have normal rainfall.

3. Plants that would do better in the deep shade and among surface roots under large maples than lawn grass does.

Have at it! I will mulch if needed, and can water some, but would prefer the watering to be no more than half as much as a cool-season lawn would need.

Also, native or non-native isn't all that important to me as long as it meets my criteria.

Comments (6)