SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mocharoman_gw

Question about Drainage - Legal Issue

mocharoman
14 years ago

I just had my yard re-graded, cleaned-up, and re-sodded. I worked with an architect for plans and another company to implement. My section of the neighborhood has severe water issues (something I wish I knew before buying. we were in a drought when I purchased last fall) I am getting pummeled from behind and next to me each time it rains. The guy behind me is currently getting quotes because he is doing the one no-no in directing all the water at me in one spot.

Before the home was built 6 years ago the builder installed some surface drains in my yard and one in the neighbor below. He put a drainage pipe buried going through neighbors yard to a retention pond. My gutters are also hooked up to the pipe. Unfortunately my pipe going through her yard is only 4".

My neighbor below me is crazy. I mean really crazy. She is getting ready to cause some ruckus over the pipe that was in her yard prior to her purchase and mine. She incorrectly believes we are sharing a pipe to the retention pond when there are actually two pipes and hers is 8". She has been calling out landscapers to evaluate her yard and the utility lines have been sprayed so I assume something is going to be happening fast.

My biggest fear is she is asking the company to cut our pipe and block it in some way. Does anyone know if I have any legal grounds to stand on to keep the pipe from being messed with? Would a landscape company actually mess with my pipe if I talked to them about it? I have no choice but to get the water downhill through her backyard as water only flows downhill. I would think that taking it underground is beneficial to all and keeps her yard from getting any more wet from my water, but crazy people cannot be dealt with in a rational manner.

Thanks for any help!

Mocharoman

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery