SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alamo5000

More Zucchini Questions

alamo5000
13 years ago

This year I have tried an experiment.

I planted numerous zucchini plants all in various situations.

Mainly though I grew a good number of them in 5 gallon buckets.

As I wasn't sure how this would turn out, I planted several plants in the ground as well.

Here is my observations so far (and later a question or two).

1) The plants in the ground have grown to be MASSIVE like 3 or 4 times the size of the ones in the buckets.

2) Despite the size difference I got more fruit (so far) from the bucket ones. Per capita, despite being smaller overall in size the bucket ones are producing more fruit.

The ones in the ground look very healthy, but the ones in the buckets do too...but side by side there is no comparison. When it comes to eating though I got 2 zuchs out of the plants on the ground and have gotten somewhere like 10 or more from the buckets.

My question though is this... are zucchini plants 'space sensitive'? I have the ones in buckets arranged where they are literally sitting side by side.

The plants literally have no where to expand outward to, unlike the ones in the ground.

I am thinking about re arranging my buckets so that my zucchinis have more space just to see if they spread out more when given more space.

In the end all I care is that I have zuch to eat, which is happening, but I am trying to learn something too so I can understand where to improve next year.

On a side note I am growing watermelons and cantaloups and 60 tomato plants all in buckets. I also have egg plants and bell peppers too... all are doing very well.

PS I am aware of the container forum and yes they may have some answers, but my general question is more about the physiology of a zuch plant so I am just giving it a shot.

The logic is kind of like those when you put a certain kind of fish in an aquarium it will only grow to so big. Likewise if you put the same fish in an ocean it can become 300 pounds. Do zuch plants have the same idea behind them?

If in the end regarding a zuch plant its a matter of container size then next year I will size up on my containers. If its just a matter of spacing then 5 gallon buckets will be fine for my purposes.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!