SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
uvascanyon

Water Diversion / Retaining Wall Input Sought

uvascanyon
12 years ago

While IâÂÂll do my best to explain, I attach a short, less than one minute video tooâ¦

Minus some touch-up painting and a gutter system, I recently finished constructing a 24â x 12â patio shelter. I look to put some type of âÂÂflooringâ in soon, and since we have a 2 year old and 3 month old baby, IâÂÂm looking at those rubber pavers. My concern is as follows:

When it rains, there is a flow of water from the left to the right, when facing the house, as seen in the video. I want to prevent the water from taking that route now (diver it) as I now want to use this space and put flooring down. Over time, one can see what this flow has done by simply looking at the crawl space vent distance to the ground. On the left (in the video), compared to the one furthest on the right is about a 10â deltaâ¦

IâÂÂm thinking that It would be prudent to put some kind of barrier at the left corner of the house (by the hose and BBQ) and extend it out approximately 12 feet to where the structure ends. I hesitate to call it a retaining wall, but I suppose it is, because the earth is about an inch or two higher further back, or to leftâ¦

I was thinking of putting some 6 x 6 pressure treated lumber down, and painting them as I know that treated wood is not safe. Or⦠I have a concrete mixer and can certainly make a form put a 12â âÂÂcurbâ there. Or, make my own concrete blocks⦠No matter what is put there, should I go right up to the stucco on the house, and if not, how much space should I leave? If I ever need to paint or do any work on the exterior of the house, it would seem like a good idea to leave a gap there, maybe the thickness of an easily removable 2 x 4?

Curious to hear any thoughts or input others might have. Thanks much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0goVROxjKs

Here is a link that might be useful: Video

Comments (13)