SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chueh_gw

casual rock garden? possible?

chueh
16 years ago

Hi,

I live in a new subdivision where the front yard is all pretty much set in a similar way. There are shrubs along the front side of the house, and there is an island in the center of the front lawn. It all looks defined and somewhat neat. I like the neat looking garden yet very casual. I am thinking of creating an island in the backyard too, but I somehow don't want the repetition (front island, and then back island). Basically, I just need the help for landscaping the backyard. Please look at the drawing below to see my backyard.

{{gwi:45006}}

I like very much the casual semi-rock garden in the picture. Please look at the pic:

{{gwi:45007}}

However, my challenges are the following:

1. The house seems going well with a neat-looking defined garden, and there is a tiny square deck in the back of the house. Everything seems so defined and square and elongated. Would the casual looking garden work?

2. I am busy and only have limited time to plant and garden. Definitely I will not have enough time taking care of a garden bigger than 15'x20', if I create a garden like the picture. I would need a simpler and smaller version of the rock garden similar to the picture.

3. How and where am I going to find the big rocks. I definitely cannot take rocks from public places. Do the landscape supply stores sell them? I probably can only handle the rocks I can pick up by hands. Thus, I can only use smaller rocks.

4. When I thought of the rock garden like the picture, I am so excited, yet I already felt too much work. Can an island be designed like the rock garden in the picture? simplified???

5. I have limited budget, so I have to do everything myself in a small scale.

Please shed some ideas with me, please? please? please? Thank you very very much

Comments (17)