SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bclasen

Help my washed out rock garden!

bclasen
5 years ago

Hi,

I've had a nice rock garden here for over 25 years. But a couple of things happened that is destroying it. First, a neighbor diverted some water flow and now the garden is getting more water (BTW, I have no issues with the diversion, it is helping my basement from flooding). The 2nd thing that has occurred is I live on the east coast and for the past month we've been getting a ton of rain. So what's happening now is a casual look at the garden and everything looks fine. But several large holes are appearing where the water is washing away the base of the garden. Dirt is flowing down my steps when it rains hard, the source is the garden. Not the topsoil, the base. In the attached photo you can see such a hold - while it is hard to see it is probably over a foot deep. I filled a couple of these with pea sized gravel, that washes out as well.

If this keeps up I imagine the garden will collapse. Doesn't look like I can divert the water easily, would filling the holes with heavier gravel, concrete or something help?

Thanks!

Bob

Comments (5)