SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
torajima

Melting snow helped plan my rock garden...

torajima
15 years ago

I have an area of my yard which faces south, and is so dry that nothing survives our hot summers (not even weeds). I've planted clover, creeping thyme, and winter wheat, but everything dies. About the only thing that did well last summer was some Agastache and Nepeta that I planted against the fence.

I've always loved succulents, so I thought I'd put a rock garden there. But after watching the sun, I've been worried that this area doesn't get enough sun in the winter, as the house blocks the sun when it is low.

But after watching snow melt today, I realized that half of the area is getting more sun than about any area in my yard... the snow is completely gone. Even the prickly pears growing wild at the front of my property get less sun (still a little snow there).

But the other half is nearly completely shaded by the house, and has about 2 inches of snow remaining.

So, I'm thinking Delosperma, sedums, and agaves on the sunny side, and orostachys and sempervivums on the shady side? The whole area should get at least half a day sun in the summer.

Comments (7)

Sponsored