SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
armyofda12mnkeys

Growing watermelons and cantaloupes, advice

armyofda12mnkeys
10 years ago

Hey all,
this is the 2nd year im growing watermelon and cantaloupes...
Last year they took up alot of space so I got a 20ft x 60ft space in local community garden to grow them (plus they were in a moist shadey area last year and got powdery mildew eventually so hoping this very open, sunny location will help with that)...

Im dividing the plot into twelve 10ft by 10ft sections for each variety Im growing.
I was curious if this setup sounds good, let me know if anything sounds wrong ...

The whole area is covered with thin layer of Salted Hay to keep down rotting issues as the melons sit on it.

in each 10x10ft area, I am putting a nice mound in the center (about 4ft diameter and 10inch off the ground maybe at its peak)... and its pretty much very old enriched compost (2years old i got at a horse farm) mixed 50%/40% with some ProMixB (and maybe 10% clay in their from digging up the current soil underneith the mound)...

On each mound, Im putting 2 or 3 plants... Does that sound reasonable? I remember esp the watermelon really took up alot of space so maybe only 2 of those. and the smaller cantaloupes maybe 3 per mound.

Then each mound Im planning on visiting local municipal place where you get free shredded leaves to use mulch and keep weeds down at the mound (looks like black/dark brown shredded leaves). I'll cover the mound with mulch to lock in moisture and keep plants cool. the mulch won't be touching the plants themselves, maybe a small 8inch diameter opening around the plant.

Anyway growing these varieties:
Watermelon:
Moon & Stars
Crimson Sweet
Ali Baba
Orangeglo watermelon

MuskMelons/Cantaloupse/etc:
Uzbek Sweetness
Persian Kharbozeh
Noir des Carmes Melon
Charentais Melon
Melon Rocky Ford