SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marys1000

Downspout 'Bubblers' - experience please

marys1000
17 years ago

I wasn't sure what forum to ask this in so I started here.

I called a landscape firm to dig/trench corrugated pipe out to the edges of my "yard". This is an acreage and the edge of my "yard" ends in soybeans. The house is on a slope and I have some problems with erosion (silty clay). Unfortunately the day they sent someone down my car was in the shop so I was talking to the digger on the phone. He convinced me, despite my reservations, to let him put in "bubblers". Essentially he attached corrugated pipe to the downspouts, trenched out 5 feet and buried this pipe with an elbow that reroutes the water back to the surface through a plastic grate - his reasons, they slow the flow of the water which will negate the erosion and water your beds close to the house and you won't have critters crawling up your corrugated pipe.

Looking at these after I got home - (1) I think they'll be a problem in winter with freezing (2) I think they'll fill up with mulch and dirt posthaste (they do not seem to have a cap that rises) and (3) will not really do the job on erosion that I needed.

What has been people's experience with them? This is zone 4b/5a so cold winters. And while it doesn't seem to rain that often here when it does it tends to rain really hard. I've often noticed that very small amounts of condensation, dew, frost etc. melts or whatever during the day and sends small amounts of water dripping through the spounts (which would refreeze at night etc.

I'm about ready to call and ask to get what I originally wanted but wanted more input in case I'm all wet.

Mary

Comments (3)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner