SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamabirrd

Big pond - please help with plumbing and pump location (pic)

mamabirrd
13 years ago

Hi ponders!

I am just about ready to start adding water and am trying to figure out pump placement. I'm going with a submersible and considering ordering a Laguna....pretty good reviews. All my previous Cal pumps have lasted only a year. The Laguna has a 3 yr. warranty plus 1 extra year from the dealer.

Anyhoo, here is a very crude sketch of my new pond.....

{{gwi:208771}}

I was planning for the 2 bottom drains (retro) because the middle of the deep area has a hump in it (downspout pipe coming off our house).

I want the biofalls to spill into the smallish top pond filled with water hyacinths....seems like a great filtration idea to me. Then down the stream of about 20 feet or so into the first part of the main pond that I will call the plant pond. The fish will be seperated from entering this area so I may fill it with plants. Also, because it is shallow and the fish would be much more vulnerable to predators. This way I won't have to net the plant pond. It will be seperated by boulders and probably some sort of screening that will allow water to still flow through. At least this is my idea so far.

It's about an 8' difference in height from the main pond up to the top of the falls. We are pretty close to 10,000 gallons all together.

No skimmer. No holes in the liner.

So i'm really stuck as to where to put the pump if i'm using bottom drains. Can anyone offer assistance?

I'm guessing my biofalls in conjunction with the upper pond, stream, and large plant pond will serve as sufficient aeration and filtration. That's why I didn't add any other settling chambers, etc. But i'd love to hear your take on it.

I should also add that I will have my UV light connected somewhere probably via a seperate smaller pump that is used for one of my decorative spitters.

I am having the liner delivered late this week and really want to have my plumbing figured out and in place so we can get to filling and running the filtration for a while before moving the fish over. So any help asap is greatly appreciated.

Sorry if I didn't add enough detail or if I sound nuts....LOL. I'm so short on time and running in circles preparing for our move, the fish move, and all the other fun stuff that goes along with moving after 20 years in the same place. :) Feel free to ask any questions if you need more info.

Thanks a million!

Comments (20)