SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunshine98_gw

WANTED: All Good boys and girls

sunshine98
18 years ago

With the Christmas holidays upon us, I thougt it would be a great idea to look back upon the good deeds we've done throughout the year and share them with others. with one small twist, the one with the greatest story and funniest story to tell will be the winners. Yes, that's right there will be two (2) winners and one second place winner. The 1st place price will be 50 types of seeds (my choice) and the second place will win 25 types of seeds (also my choice).

So that everything is judged fairly, I will have one other GW member go through the stories also and together we will come to a decision. Also, everyone that reads the stories is encourage to vote for his favorite one and I will keep notes of the votes. Since all contests must have an expiration date, I will set it for December 13. The winner will be announced on December 15th. With this said, I wish everyone good luck!!. Thank-you.

Sincerely and respectfully,

Nancy aka sunshine98 on GW

Comments (48)

• mgood4u
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

LOL--I love it! What a great idea. I can not wait to read these!!!!!! If you need a judge I would be glad to jump in! (Hey there's a good deed I can chalk up on my list!lol) Thanks, Mrs. Claus, for letting us post what we did as good boys/girls! I'll have to get my "nice" list together and post soon! mgood4u

• katbow7
    18 years ago

I love it...........Wish I had a funny story to tell

• Related Discussions

It's 3 girls and one big handsome boy!

Q

Comments (7)
    That's great to hear! We always yell out something to them, along the lines of have a nice life. Or we imagine what they are saying - "woo hoo!! I'm flying!! this is great!! I can see everything!!" And we always think of Miller, if anyone has children you should go to the bookstore or library and get Miller the Green Caterpillar (dreamed that one day he would fly)... If you already have it you know what I mean.
    ...See More

All I want for Christmas is a good ole Brandywine..

Q

Comments (10)
    You're missing the boat by a wide margin. Caspian Pink is a second rater at best. Black Krim and Cherokee Purple are good, but you need more flavor choices. Crnkovic Yugoslavian - huge fruit, out of this world flavor. Eva Purple Ball - outstanding production of good flavored tomatoes. Kellogg's Breakfast - a light orange tomato that will make your toes curl it is so good. Red Brandywine - this is a producer and a half and the flavor is pretty good too. Aunt Ruby's German Green - phenomenal light sweet tomato flavor. Daniels - This one is the best alternative I've grown to Brandywine. It is more productive and flavor just as good. Black From Tula - better production than Black Krim and excellent flavor J.D.'s Special C-Tex - the hands down best tasting tomato in my garden last season. I've eaten better, but this one will blow your mind for flavor. These are just a few of the options you could try. Jump in with both feet. Fusion
    ...See More

Oooo boy.....or should I say Oooo girl?

Q

Comments (14)
    My dog is Jillian...Usually that's the name that is called..but she's also called Jilly...or JJB short for Jillian Juju bee or JuJu short for the same..or speckled beast..or dog...or mutt...or puppy girl...She's 9... She just comes when you talk nice..LOL Dachshunds are so cute as babies...I think she's a blessing..it won't take long to get her potty trained..and she'll start looking at the older dog for "instruction" too.
    ...See More

What color to paint a shared girl toddler/boy baby room ?

Q

Comments (16)
    Bright colors with lots of contrast are very good for developing eye coordination. Helping babies to focus etcetera. Primary colors are always good. Maybe paint the walls a cheerful yellow with bright red curtains and blue Linens Etc. I do know one young mother who painted her baby's room white with all black accessories. Her logic was that that was the highest contrast a person can get LOL.
    ...See More
  • myohhmy
    18 years ago

Where are all the stories?? With a 50 seed prize you would think a lot of someones would be writting! I am not a very good author but I have been a good girl this year.

Let me share afew of my good deeds done. For my local mom's club I was in charge of Charities for this year. It was very interersting to come up with new charities to help out each month. It was an eye opener too for learning about all the less fortunates in my local area. Here are some things we did this year: collected books to local hospitals, collected coupons to send to overseas miltary families who are on a fixed bugdget, collected coats for shelters, adopted two families and bought them christmas presents and stocked their panteries, and put together a Thanksgiving basket, make a wreath to be auctioned off for a local charity group, and submitted teddy bears for the fire department for children whose houses have burned, collected soup labels and box tops for low income schools, and collected used greeting cards to give to local sunday school classes, and had a yard sale with proceds going to charity. It was a very eye opening year that was full of giving. It really woke me up and helped me to appreacate what I have taken for granted. A bad thing happend last winter when I went to deliver the toys and canned goods we collected, my car broke down - filled to the rafters with presents. I went 10 months without a car after that - it was not easy but the charities reminded me that people are making due with alot less than the incoveiences that having a second car posed. Now I am SO VERY VERY happy to have a second car again! And grateful for the year of learning how to help others...

• Nalani
    18 years ago

Well to me this is more a labor of love then a good deed. My Grandma died in October and she had a left behind a large legacy she had five kids and 78 grandchildren. Her last months here were in suffering she had a tumor on her spleen and was in so much pain she could not walk eat or even function the way we are used to seeing her she was just like Sophia on the Golden Girls, very spunky and full of lift except she was the Puerto Rican version. It was very hard on our family, she is the one who worked so hard to provide for her five children because she was a single parent, but of all the children my aunt Sonia had my grandma living with her for over 30 years and she is taking it the hardest. Well about 3 weeks before my grandma died my aunt bought some pretty garden figurenes to start a garden in her backyard she cleared a spot and started getting the soil ready. Well as you can know my grandma died and my aunt has not done much with that area and dosent know to much about gardening I promised to give her seeds and some rooted cuttings of my brugs but this winter I want to do something much more special I want to start seed and grow them into plants and by the time spring comes take all the plants and plant her a garden in memory of her mother my Grandma. I think that would be very special to her and whenever she goes into her garden she can reminiss on her mom and just spend time in her beautiful garden, and find happiness and comfort. To me it is more the labor of love because I love her and since we all gather, all 78+ family members for all holidays and occasions, at her house the garden will be shared and enjoyed by all who love grandma. God bless you all this holiday season and remember we are not promised tomorrow so love eachother and treat eachother always with kindness and love.
    Nalani

This is Rosalinda Villa(Grandma Rosa) in her early 20's.

Grandma Rosa with (top) Titi Evelyn and Titi Sonia (bottom)

This is Grandma Rosa in a glamour shot prably about 3 or 4 years ago.

• romando
    18 years ago

I love the stories! I especially love the photos, nalani! Thanks for sharing!
    I'm a bad girl, though...lol~
    Amanda 'romando'

• mkruby7
    18 years ago

We final got are first house last Nov. And being the mother of three. I have not met all my neighbors. About two months ago there was a knock on my door (in the middle of the afternoon). I almost didn't answer it. As I did it was the older women next door, who I had not met. She was looking for a couple people to push her car out of the road. It had die as she was pulling her driveway. And are streets are very narrow. But I was the only one home, she was very disappointed. As she wanted her car out of the road. So I went to her house around the corner to have a look. And ask some question about why she thinks her car die. She thought it was her battery. I said I will be right back. I got my jumper cables and the truck. And went back to her house. Now I have not jumped a car in about 20 some years. So I try to call my husband to ask him, but he was in a meeting. I had to pull my (gutless) truck on the curb (and not hit her gate)so I can get closer. So now my truck was sitting in the road too. So, now I had to hook-up the cables to all the right places. Had to jog my brain. But I got it done. (Oh, by the way people kept driving by and not one ask if we needed help. Oh well I didn't need it.) We got her car started and out of the road. She thank me and started taking about her family and her decese husband. I think she needed someone to talk too. And later her son in-law took her car down for a new battery. And now very time I drive by she is waving hello. I will have to take her something for christmas. I think I will give her a plant.

I'm so glad I answer my door. And was able to help her. It also showed me I can jump a car if I had too. It felt good to help her too.

I do other things during the year. I help with a horse rescue http://www.tierrescue.org (Buster is my boy). There is pics of him, so go check it out.

I also donate to Mary Kay Charitable Foundation. They awarded grants to help fund innovative research studies for cancers affecting women. And grants to financial assistance to women's shelters and other non-profits agencies that share in its determination to stop violence against women and thire children. www.mkacf.org

And I've done work with JDRF - Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. As my sister, brother, daugther and other family members has juvenile diabetes. www.jdf.org

Please feel free to check out the websites.

And thank you for letting me think of what I've done to help others. Sometimes we forget.

MKRUBY7

• mkruby7
    18 years ago

Oh, by the way. The people in the pics with my horse are my sister (with juvenile diabetes), her husband and my son. She is giving me him to me. And the paper work is not done. By January I hope. I've been taking care of him for a year.

mkruby7

• bojo96
    18 years ago

I work with adults who have developmental disabilities. (mental retardation and/or mental illness) They are everyday hero's to me, so, I would like to nominate them. The place I work has allowed us to plant rosebushes and a few other plants and as long as it's taken care of we're able to plant as many as we wish. My clients (11 of them) have all gotten into planting and have learned so much, with the little we've been able to do with their funds. (Co-workers and I have helped purchase soil, pots, etc.) The things they have overcome and the joy they have when something grows is unbelievable. They get told so many times that they CAN'T do something, that when they do accomplish a goal the joy and happiness they feel brings a smile to everyone near. For them to see a seed, learn how to plant that seed, watch that seed grow (you would think it was their baby) is amazing. One MALE client that has developmental AND physical handicaps grew a plant that he gave to his mom for her birthday...she was in tears that he had accomplished this and then gave it to her as a gift. So, for "them" to win even a few packages of seeds to grow would make them so proud and even more than that, they have shared what they've learned with others at different facilities and gives them a sense of self worth that THEY can teach others.
    Julie

• planting_nut
    18 years ago

Well, I don't know about the "winning" part, but thanks for letting me share some tiny bits of my life with all of you.
    My Daughter is one of the developmentally disabled adults like Julie helps. Not one of Julie's of course.
    I volunteer in My Daughter's class on a regular basis. The entire class has been together for years because we live in a very rural area and there's only one special education class. Twice a year the class holds a fund-raising yard sale. I donate (5 van loads from my stockpile) and donate my time from start to finish. I'm there, with my family in tow, from 7 AM till everything is packed up. Twice yearly.

I volunteer at all the car washes, donated toiletries to the entire class (13 kids), from deoderant to toothbrushes to shampoo, conditioner, nail polish, etc. I've served as an attendant when the class goes on field trips, driving my own vehicle and paying for my own gas. And when the wheelchairs don't fit on the bus, I transport those as well.

My daughter's class attends the Prom each year as a unit. I've donated a formal evening gown to a classmate so that she could her first ever (and last) prom.

We have friends in the Florida National Guard. I've kept their 3 kids for weeks when the Mom was activated to help after the hurricanes west of us. And since their Mom had no cell phone, we sent Hubby's with her so she could call her children and Husband who was at training school in another state.
    Early this year the Husband requested that I participate in a surprise for his Wife (my friend). I bought and held airline tickets to the Bahamas for their 20th anniversary, keeping this secret from her for months. On the day of their Anniversary I helped from before noon till past midnite. Preparing, cleaning and serving. When it looked like they may not have enough cold cuts, I donated 2 beef roasts, sliced and hot.
    After the party, I took those same 3 kids home with me so their parents could go to the Bahamas.
    I've added these friends to my Family Plan (cell phone) because they can't get one on their own. Now we've agreed to take the kids (teenagers by the way!!) for anywhere from a year to forever if Both parents are deployed or in the case of their deaths.
    My yard has attracted more attention than anything I've ever seen.....3 times a week, total strangers stop to ask about my yard. I share plants, cuttings, seeds, pots.....all of it.
    I have done all the usual things as well, loaned money, run errands for others, helped stranded motorists, loaned my cell phone to strangers.....given hope and support wherever possible.
    LOL!! Win or lose, I feel better about my life now!
    Thanks!
    ~Bren

• sunshine98
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank-you ALL for sharing part of your lives with the rest of us!!! I am really enjoying myself hearing all of your accomplishments. It's this time of year that is perfect to look back upon our year's accomplishments and try to better ourselves by them. As to your stories, WOWEEWOWOWOW!!!!!
    Myohhmy, you DO keep yourself busy, when do you find the time for gardening,LOL!!! Thank-you for all you have done and are doing. God know He and we need more people such as yourself.
    Nalani, that was a beautiful story about your grandmother Rosa and how your aunt Sonia wanted to have a garden in memory of her and now you want to accomplish this dream of hers.
    Mkruby7,the smallest things go a long way on this earth. It was only a small gesture, yet you took the time to stop, recall which wires went where, and helped out. Not only did you help yourself in remembering how to jumpstart a car but at the same time you helped out a fellow human being and made a friend in the process. Thank-you!!
    Bojo96, Thank-you for helping bring the joy of gardening to others. Not many people would have your patience in teaching and I know that it takes a lot of it. I know that I wouldn't (at least not any more) Yet, it is soooo worth it in the long run.I and they thank-you for it.
    Planting nut, for everything you have done, thank-you. I can't imagine all of what your day can be like but I know it must be hectic. Especially when one car gives out. I also, can barely raise a family let alone two!!! LOL!! I'd go nuts!!! Good luck in your future and hope that your car is up to the challenge. Thank-you for sharing.
    Well, we're off to a great start!!! Keep those stories coming!!! They are great and the pictures are marvelous!!!! Thank-you!!!!
    Mrs. Claus---LOL!!! or so I've been called...LOL!!!

• alinehuey
    18 years ago

I take care of a "flower garden" at the City Building for the Down to Earth Garden Club of which I am a member. I got a call from a fellow member "There is a duck hatching ducklings in your garden" I had my grandson and a couple of his friends all about 7 yrs old with me. We had to go see what was going on so we went over to the garden to find a malard duck on a nest under the Stella D'oro with four ducklings hatched out, running around in this walled bed two feet high at the lowest end and four feet high at the highest.
    The kids were so good to listen. We just watched and I did a little weeding. I could not figure out how I missed seeing her there for a whole month.
    We had been there about half an hour when the kids noticed the mother trying to take the babies out of the garden. That's when we noticed that she was missing a foot. How in the world was she going to get those babies out and safely to the creek at least two blocks away and there was traffic to cross?
    I decided we would carry them there. I caught the mamma and held on to her, then caught three of the babies, handing them out to the kids, giving them instructions not to squeeze. Well that last one was the hardest to catch hiding under plants and running from me. It took longer to catch than the first three put together.
    So off we went me with the mom under my arm and a babe in my hand and each of those kids with a babe in thier hands, down the sidewalk, across the road towards the creek. I thought how much I was like that mother duck with my children following me.
    We got them safely down to the embankment and let them loose into the brush, holding our breath untill every last one found it's way through the brambles into the water with it's mother. What a story we had to tell. We called it an adventure!
    Aline Huey

• Nalani
    18 years ago

Those stories are wonderful. It is so refreshing to hear about all the good people in the world. The news always tells about all the horrible things going on. If anything just reading the posts has already given me a sence of gratification and such a blessing to read these all. Keep them coming I am enjoying reading these as I am sure everyone else is as well.
    Nalani

• hummingbirddaisy
    18 years ago

Bless all of your hearts. Some stories bring tears, and some bring smiles.
    I seen this post earlier today, and I couldn't wait to get my work done so I could come back and read about everyone.

God Bless you all. Thank you for sharing with all of us.
    What a great post!
    Tina

• icotte
    18 years ago

Great stories of good deeds! Here is a recent one of mine.

After incurring some expensive vet bills on two of our pets recently I declared to my husband "no more pets for us" we can not afford the high cost of veterinary care for anymore animals!

My husband and I were forced into retirement a couple of years ago do to the bad economy here in California. We are now living off my husband's pension. My two sons are also out of work so we have both of them, one girlfriend, and her baby, all living with us. We also have three pets that are also members of our family. We are managing though.

Last month, my husband and I traveled 350 miles to my mother-in-law's rental house to help clean, paint, and repair, for a new renter. This house is in a very small town in the mountains of northern CA. When we arrived at the house we found the current renter (although three months behind in his rent) was still occupying the house. We have a camper shell with an air mattress in it on our truck so we got a camp site at a nearby campground. This campground had five camp sites but only one was occupied. We made friends with our neighbors and learned that the previous night they had put some food out for a half grown kitten that was living in the bushes near by. Also, that this campground was going to be closed down for the winter at the end of the month.

To make a long story short and despite my husband's doubt, I befriended the half wild kitten by feeding her and talking to her. By the end of our five nights there I had her coming out of the bushes and calling back to me when I would call "Baby, Baby". She would even let me hold her for a few seconds. Just long enough to drop her into an old cage that I found amongst the trash at the rental house.

'Baby' is now a happy camper (excuse the pun...lol) living with her adopted mom. Although she still won't let anybody but her mom approach her or pick her up. She is very affectionate, and a very good girl. With maybe the exception of when she runs across the table and spills her mom's drying seeds. And little does she know, she has an appointment to be spaded next week.

Here is her picture.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:32947}}

• lizinnh
    18 years ago

I also support with folks with developmental disabilities and am not looking to be the good girl that wins. I just wanted to give a nomination to bojo96. (if that is okay) She brought a smile to my face and a tear to my eye. All the stories are beautiful and make me proud to be part of this community. LizinNH

• sunshine98
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I can tell that this is going to be difficult...LOL!!! But, Oh my, what wonderful stories, and what beautiful people we have here on GW behind the stories. The judges have been picked and all are encouraged to vote on their favorite stories.
    Alinhuey--Even animals that are disabled still go on with their lives. It amazes me how strong an animal can be when missing a limb and yet how some of us would take that as a sign of weakness if it were us (not all of us). We have much to learn from them.A very inspiring story it was. Please keep us posted how the duck family is doing..LOL!!
    Nalani--I'm glad you're enjoying the posts as I'm sure many who are reading them are. The stories have been wonderful and very illuminating.Keep enjoying them!!!
    Tina--Hey there girl!!! Long time no hear from you!!LOL!! Glad to hear you're enjoying these as much as I am.
    icotte--Allow me to say what everyone else is expressing upon seeing the cute picture of Baby.." AAAAAAAAAAAAaWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!" Wonderful rescue story and you managed to give him parents as well. Loved it!!!
    LizinNH--Of course, nominations are welcomed.I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying the stories and doubly glad to hear that you work folks with developmental disabilities. We need more of you out there. Thank-you.
    Well, that's it just keep them coming. Remember that Santa is watching if you're naughty or nice, so remember that great prize can be for you!!!! Thank-you
    sunshine98

• bojo96
    18 years ago

Just wanted to say thank you for the nomination LizinNH... and more than that thank you for the work you do. This is not an easy field to be in, you either love it or hate it, no in-between. If you let it, it will be the most rewarding learning job for US...and, also, the most frustrating. LOL
    Bren (planting_nut) the world, not just people with DD, needs more parents like you. I have been amazed at what some parents can do when their child isn't "perfect" and it saddens and angers me. Then parents like you come along and the unconditional love is a powerful, moving emotion for anyone near.
    All others...thank you for the thank you's (does that make sense? LOL) but no thanks are needed...this is what I love to do...good times and bad times included.
    All the other stories are great too. We so often forget the good people out there and get caught up in our own problems that seeing/reading about good deeds brighten our outlook ...so your good deeds don't end here...they help me have a better day and a bigger smile, knowing your all out there and ready to help when needed.
    Nancy, how wonderful do you have to be to even come up with this? It's a pleasure to meet you.
    Julie

• MicB
    18 years ago

My father's father and I were not close, by any means, but he passed away in October in the final stages of Alzheimer's. My father was devastated as his mother had passed away in 98. I was by his side as much as time would allow. Which was alot, for the few days during the funeral arrangements and actual funeral. My father and mother adore my children, so I let my son stay at their house during this time, to help take his mind off the things at hand. We met my father at the florist to pick out the flower we were going to buy, because their were issues due to my grandfather's wife and her family doing things totally seperate from us. My father and mother and I picked out a very pretty spray with fall colors, and, of course, it had roses. My son (8) stepped up to the counter at the florist and told the florist that if she was going to put roses on "Papa's grave" to make sure that it didn't have thorns so he wouldn't get hurt when he went to smell them. Later that day, we went to view the body and my son went. I refuse to hide death from him, and so, he viewed the body with us. My son, in realizing that his papa was gone, cried with the rest of us. I picked him up and held him, and explained to him that he will miss papa now, but one day, he will be able to see his papa again.

• mgood4u
    18 years ago

These are all terrific stories. Keep em' coming! By the way I have offered to be a judge! Just to give me a reason to keep reading these terrific heartwarming stories! Dawn

• mgood4u
    18 years ago

Hopefully people find this and post more stories. I really don't understand why it was pulled from seed exchange. I have seen many times threads for " Wish Lists" where everyone posts there seed wishes and is someone has them they can contact eachother for trade. However most of the time it ends up as a conversation about everyones wants and favorites. This is along those same lines. Don't get me wrong though--I love the wish list threads.

Since I am a judge now I thought it would be nice to add some of my seeds to the winners pot. I have already spoke with "Mrs. Claus" about this. I don't know how many more will be included until I figure them out but at least we know there is more seeds in the pot for the winner!

• pattygrow5
    18 years ago

I am busy work 40 hours a week always spent time volunteering at my kids schools(I just love children)This year my youngest 15(last one left at home)decided to join marching band so I joined band parents organization I spent a whole week of my vacation chaperoning at band camp(my poor garden suffered)every week went to every event they had some of the kids just really need an adult to just acknowledge them they know that the few of us parents that are there are there for them if anytime I spend helps the kids be a better adult it would just be worth every minute I spend with them. Out of 100 kids you would be surprised how few parents even come to see them perform(they are really good only band in our area invited to be in mayors inaugural parade.) I guess it shouldn't really count as an true entry to this contest for I love being with them they are all great hardworking kids.Patty

• graanieb
    18 years ago

Now this is the type of thing that we need more of, heartwarming, day brightener, wish it was
    posted everywhere. Nothing like the real life stories and especially from people like you for who I'm thankful and proud to be a part of, especially friends like you Nancy, a heart of gold.
    I've told everyone to check this one if they already haven't. You all deserve lots of rewards and blessings.
    No way could I be the judge, I get absorbed into the contents and forget about the prizes. lol
    Besides Mrs Santa's pkts, I hope Santa hears your stories and rewards you all with whatever you wish for the most.

Bea-GraanieB

• countrygirlsc, Upstate SC
    18 years ago

These are wonderful stories and I would like to tell one - even though I was not involved in it, but knew some of the people involved. Any of you ever visit the Rose Forum? If you do, then you will know about this...

Last spring one of the members that I had met had cancer and was not able to do the work that needed to be done for her roses and yard. When everyone heard, volunteers from several states met at her house one Saturday. They mulched and pruned and weeded and did all the things that have to be done in the spring. Pictures were posted and there was one of the member sitting and watching with a a huge smile on her face. She looked so peaceful. It still makes me cry....as I am doing now to think of her happiness and the caring that was shown by those people. Not long after that she was gone, but her last weeks were much happier because of those wonderful people. I feel proud to know there are people like them in the world.

• flower_power_nc
    18 years ago

Hi guys I want to donate some seeds to the winners also. I also work with the mentally handicapped. I am a teacher and I Love my guys I work with. They are part of my family.
    They are the reason I go to work everyday. Two years ago we
    started a flower garden outside our house where we work. James my hero loves to work outside. He will help do anything that you ask of him. We spend alot of time outside
    when spring comes and all my guys and girls love it. Keep up the good work guys, I loved the stories.

• sunshine98
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank-you all for sharing!!! I'm glad you all found the post again since they moved it. I hope the stories will continue to come. We have many wonderful ones so far. Each one special in it's own right.
    MicB-- I'm sorry for your loss but I think it's wonderful the way that you set your father spend time with his grandchild during this time. I think it helped him in his time of need.
    Mgood4u-- Thank-you for your contribution of raising the ante and for your input on the stories
    Pattygrow5--I'm glad you are sooo given of your time to chaperone the band wherever they go, but most of all just for being there for the kids. It is so important for them to have someone they know present to see and hear them play.
    GraanieB--Bea, You finally made it!!!! Glad to hear you're enjoying the stories. Thank-you for the kind words.
    Countrygirl SC--Yes, I remember. Thank-you for reminding us about her. She was a very special lady and her loss was a loss to us all. Those helpful ladies deserve a medal or at least the best in their lives for they gave her the greatest gift one human being can give another, and that is to care. Thank-you again.
    flower power nc--Thank-you for the donation, all are welcomed. I'm sure the winner will be VERY happy...LOL!!! Thank-you also for sharing your story Debbie. My hats off to you for being a teacher and taking the time to guide your guys towards gardening which is wonderful therapy and at the same time a great learning experience. Teachers are tops in my book. Where would we be without teachers? Thank-you.

Please keep them coming!!!! and Thank-you all for your contributions!!!! sunshine98

• mgood4u
    18 years ago

Perhaps it is better that this is on the convo forum. I can quickly see it developing into a flurry of terrific and enlightening conversations! I do think it is going to be hard to pick a "winner" when everyone's stories are wonderful. There are so many terrific people here!!!!!

Here's my good deed--I took the garbage out for my DH one day!!!! LOL!

• planting_nut
    18 years ago

No, not another entry, but I've noticed that we have some teachers in this post who work with the disabled. As mentioned before, my daughter is Mentally Disabled.
    Her teacher is not a member here and likely will never read this, but I want to tell you about MY hero.
    My daughter's teacher was THE PIONEER for the Special Education program in our rural county. Before her arrival, the children were bussed 40 miles.
    I met her when My daughter was in 3rd grade. We clicked right away. Since she was the trailblazer, she moved up through the grades as more, newer, teachers came in to fill her footsteps. A task that must have been gargantuan! Because she kept moving up, and my daughter kept moving up, they were seperated for at most 2 years at a stretch . She had my daughter in 3rd grade, 4th , 6th, 9th, 10th, 11th and her senior year. So, you see, I'm an authority on this one teacher at least! lol Florida law allows students to attend public school until their 22nd birthday, So she'll be with this wonderful teacher for 3 more years.
    Enough background....now about my hero. She not only teaches these kids, she truly treats them like her own. The yard sales that I donate my time and property to is to raise funds for outings for the kids. The teacher takes ALL the kids on overnight field trips to such places as Disney, Busch Gardens, Seaworld, etc. Each child has their own personal guide as well as 2 adults for each group of 6 (3 disabled and their guides). NO (extra) money is used for this trip..it's all from the fundraisers. Meals, tickets, spending money, motel rooms, transportation....all of it. Not only does this wonderful teacher go above and beyond, but her husband and son are full participants.
    She has a pool party at her OWN home for the kids just before the beginning of school each year. Parents are welcome too, if they'd like.
    She fights (sometimes very loudly) on behalf of my child or ANY child that needs an advocate.
    She's not your "ordinary" teacher (heros in their own right),she has more love, more patience and more resolve than any woman I know. I haven't found ANYTHING that she won't take on if it's for those kids. She learned to drive a school bus so she could drive them on their trips, on her vacation!!!
    She's sought and gotten tremendous support from all of our community.
    I wish I could tell you more, but that may "give her away"....and that's not my intention. I tell you all of this so that you'll understand how sincere I am when I say "Thank You" to the teachers on here. I KNOW you're underpaid, I know you're under appreciated, I know there are times you must wonder if it matters to anyone else. The answer is YES!! You matter! You are the heroes for we parents. If we don't tell you often enough, it's because we've run out of words to tell you what it means to us. How do you thank someone for holding your child's hand when the rest of the world tries to not even SEE her? How do you thank her for drying the tears caused by the cruelty of non-disabled students? How do you thank the teacher who stands by your child and DEFIES anyone to harm them? These kids, the least able to help themselves, have heroes......they spell it t-e-a-c-h-e-r.
    So, please accept a VERY deep and heartfelt THANK YOU!!! And know that what you do touches far more people than the students you teach. You are an inspiration to all of us.
    ~Bren

• bojo96
    18 years ago

Bren..these kids/adults come into our lives and I think we need them as much as they need us. My DH and I didn't entertain guests very often...just to busy I guess. Now we have cook-outs at our farm...all the clients, their families, staff and their families, my family and friends and anyone passing by (and yes, we've had total strangers stop before) are welcome. We have horses and dogs...a friend brings over sheep, miniature cows, miniature horses and once in a while even a reindeer for everyone to pet and see. Some people have never been closer than passing by on a highway to these animals and even had one dad that lives (and grew up) in Chicago show up one time...think his actions with the animals were more priceless than anyone's. LOL
    We provide the meat (whether it's hot dogs, hamburgers, pork chops...whatever) and the drinks. Everyone else brings a side dish, including my clients (that they make themselves!) You should see them when someone says how great their food tastes.
    This isn't another bid for the seeds...just wanted to reassure Bren and any others out there that there are many of us who will fight, care and love their child as much as they do. Maybe we should start another thread LOL
    Julie

• graanieb
    18 years ago

I'm playing a self proclaimed judge and nominating all of you as winners. Nancy, you got tired of my praises?

Mgood, I agree and now see where Spike saw endless tales, hopefully (any limits to the threads?).

I have a serious question for you all:

How do you take sting out of the hot pepper on your hands?

I know, should've used gloves when I was opening the pods like a good girl, or was I? but at least I've learned not to touch my lips and/or mouth.

Blessed Holidays,

Bea

• graanieb
    18 years ago

Nancy did it again, gave me a helpful suggestion, to take sting out of hot pepper, rub your hands for a few minutes with mayo, then wash and rinse, or if that doesn't work, soak hands in iced vinegar, keep rinsing with water too, but the best remedy is the time.
    Not an earth shuttering matter, just a minor inconvenience,and at least I didn't touch my lips and mouth.
    Wear gloves.
    GB

• mgood4u
    18 years ago

Hi Sunshine98! Are you going to keep the thread open for awhile or pick a "winner" (as hard as it will be) lol.

• sandysgardens
    18 years ago

Ive always done the traditional volunteer type things  collect for heart fund, diabetes, cancer and others. When children were in school I was a room parent and math tutor. At work, IÂve co-chaired for food drive, blood mobile, toys for tots, and united way. However, one day I decided I wanted to do some one-on-one help for someone, and I found the perfect person to help.

About seven years ago, Jack, a friend of moms, was diagnosed with ParkinsonÂs disease at age 61. For a few years he managed fine, but things got harder for Jack to manage by himself so thatÂs when I decided it was my chance to really make a personal difference and help. ItÂs started out by basically checking in on him weekly and a few odds and ends. Now I pre make meals that he can heat and eat, yard work, house stuff, and manage his medicines and finances (have become his POA).

This spring, Jack started to decline more in doing things on his own. One day I was trying to decide what I could do to make his trying days, a bit happier and decided he could use a couple of new small flower beds and his current one re-done. Heck, I was trying to figure out what to do with all my winter sown plants that still needed to be planted and this would be perfect!.

For a few days we (mom, sister, and Jack) planted and planted; the yard was looking GREAT! My sister and I ran to the store in the midst of this; and while gone some of Jacks elderly neighbors came by to see what was happening. Jack and mom told them I had so many plants, that I wanted to plant gardens for those who wanted them and if they would like a garden I would plant one for them. Yes, when I got back from the store, I had 4 more gardens to develop/plant. Mom and Jack had promised, so what was I to do, so I went to the first neighbors house; she had already chalked out a design and had a plant list! I tried to politely tell her that I had only certain plants from my winter sowing and garden, but after a lot of smiling and head nodding, I was off to the nursery. All the while my sister was in disbelief and laughing non-stop that I got myself into such a predicament.

During the next week I took vacation, and did small garden design/planting like there was no tomorrow for the 4 neighbors. When I was finishing up the last garden, Jack gave me a list of others (5 people) who had come by to see if they could get a garden. I asked him, when did you get 5 more people? He smiled and said; when I took my morning walks I asked people if they had been by to see my new gardens. When they came by they loved them so what was I to do, he said, but to say youÂd create a garden for them too as you did the other neighbors. I was thinking that this has got to be one of the craziest situations I have been in, and believe me I have been in some doozies. To make it worse, itÂs the middle of July with a record heat wave - HOT! However, as I know the ParkinsonÂs and the meds do affect Jacks thinking and seeing how happy he was I couldnÂt be mad or upset with him. Besides the gardens being created arenÂt big, but little areas for his retired neighbors to spend some of their remaining time on earth enjoying.

So off to the nursery I went. They were actually shutting down for the summer (parking lot type) and I mentioned to the lady what I had gotten myself into and got the best deal from her; and she had her son deliver them over to Jacks. Also since my sister thought it was so funny that I got myself into this, I recruited her to help.

By the end August a total of 11 yards were given small gardens. When I sit back and think of it, I smile and laugh. Sometimes Jack and I just look at each other and laugh. Jacks doctors also told me that this past summer was the best they had seen him in four years. Gardening is some of the best medicine and I honestly feel I made more of a difference than I thought I would ever, not just in Jacks life and his neighbors, but in my own personal life!

As I said I couldnÂt believe what I had gotten into, but now I am hoping I can do more of the same this coming summer.

Wishing everyone many blooms and good health
    Sandy (sandysgardens)

• sunshine98
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I have shead tears, laughed, and more tears while reading these stories. It is becoming very difficult to choose but we will choose.I hope you all still keep them coming though. Remeber that the deadline is midnight on the 13th. The winner will be announced on the 15th on this same thread and via email (if they don't have it blocked)...LOL!!! So please keep those wonderful stories coming.
    Plantin_nut-- I agree with you that teachers are right up there, Above doctors and lawyers even. Face it you can't have any occupation without teachers. They are the foundation of our society and if it weren't for them we would be in trouble. You are sooooo lucky to have her in your life. They (teachers) deserve our appreciation and our support. Thank-you all.
    SandyGardens-- Thank-you for all you've done. Many people just see the elderly or the disabled and look the other way. Thank-you for not doing that. Today for them tomorrow for you. I am sure that they will appreciate this gesture of yours even if you never do it again. The slightest show of kindness is welcome by any and all. Thank-you for being you.

Thank-you for sharing your stories everyon. Let's try and keep this thread going until the 14th at least so that we may announce the winner. Remember, It can also be a funny story about something that happened to you as well as a good deed you may have done this year. Think, think!!!! LOL!! Good-luck to all!!!

• planting_nut
    18 years ago

Well, it sure didn't amuse me at the time, but as it's been several years since........I giggle about it now.
    Early in my marriage, I "convinced" hubby that a veggie garden was a GREAT idea. I fed, I watered, I weeded and plants flourished. Our table was blanketed time after time with fresh tomatoes, peas, corn, etc.
    But I figured I was pure poison to Okra, because it just flat refused to produce. Beautiful blooms, yes, but not one Okra pod anywhere, in 5 rows!!! I studied the books...yes, I was doing the right things...they said so! Go ask other gardeners....they said the same thing "You're doing fine." Still no okra.
    Till one early morning when I caught the true culprit! My hubby is a city boy. He was going from okra plant to okra plant picking off "These rotten blossoms".... LOL! He thought he was being so helpful, he never realized he was picking my okra before it could grow. Now, I like being married, so I gently explained that he was banned!
    I still tease him about this and we'll be married 24 years in January.
    ~Bren

• sunshine98
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Planting nut what can I say but my true feelings about your story, which are LOL!!!!!I was laughing so hard that I almost fell out of my chair!!! Thank-you I think we all could use a laugh about now...LOL!!!!! Sooooo many of our husbands, bless their hearts, do try to be helpful, but aren't. Some are though. Mine knows better. He goes as far as picking up the trash and raking, but won't pull anything unless he asks, these are his rules for not getting in trouble....LOL!!!! Thank-you again.!!!

• myohhmy
    18 years ago

To help make judging a little easier I would like to take myself out of the running. I enjoy seeds but would much rather see them got to a group (hint hint) that could not otherwise afford them. Plus my kids don't give me as much time to garden as I would like. So I probably won't be doing much with seeds this year. I just wanted to get the ball rolling. lol

Thank you for this wonderful thread though. It is heartwaring to hear something positive for a change.

Sandygardens - your story is great and funny! Thanks for making me laugh

Just a thought.... I see adobt a newbie threads all the time. Can we do adobt an 'organization' thread? Maybe I should start one? I would love to see groups like bojo96 get plants and seeds on a regular basis. think what a difference that could make to them. I have also heard of nursing homes and elementry school needing donations. My local master gardner also denated entire gardens to projects like habatat for humanity... I also know there are lots of gardens devistated by hurcane catrina.

If those who need plants and or seeds could contact me and let know what you are looking for I will start a data base. I could head up something or help support someone if they have already started something like I am suggesting. Does anyone know of anything like this?

• planting_nut
    18 years ago

oh Sunshine98 he's learned a LOT in the 20 years since then.He had to. hehe
    Of course he still refers to my beloved and pampered babies as "Your plant crap." But as long as he can follow simple directios ("Honey, I need a big hole dug right here." OR "Get me the bag of fertilizer that says 10-10-10.")I think I'll keep him. Besides, he'll climb ladders.....and I won't. lol I gotta keep him.

• CandyD
    18 years ago

Hi,
    I am new here and love this thread. I also work with the mentally disabled, but they can not do anything for themselfs. I work in the medically frail house for the sickest of our people. My boss has put in 4 raised beds and we had one bed for veggies. Last year, I went to the dollar store and got seeds and started them in small pots. I had of all things cosmos, and they grew to about 8 feet! Much to big for the raised boxes, but they were beautiful. This year, I planted one box with daffodils, and tulips. I have 2 others, but the ground bed to do. In the nice weather I take the guys out to look at the flowers. It makes no difference if they can move, talk, acknowledge, and even if they can not see, they can smell. They enjoy the colors and the excitement of seeing something different, and pretty. Now you have to remembers all we had last year was cosmos because they took over the whole bed! (I sure got alot of comments about that!). But it was fun for everyone. Thanks for reading (listening).
    Candy

• Nalani
    18 years ago

So who are the winners! I realized that today is the 15th and was looking over the posts, and thought hey who are the winners. This is a great thread. Merry Christmas everyone and God bless you all.

Nalani

• sunshine98
    Original Author
    18 years ago

My apologies to you all for keeping you in suspense, but it's been a tough decision. After all the votes were in and two other judges besides myself talked, it has finally been decided. I want to thank everyone for their participation and for sharing your wonderful stories with the us. I applaud you for all your good deeds and may you all have a wonderful Christmas full of Joy and Health for yourselves and your families.
    And the winners are..........
    1st place and 50 packs of seeds each are Sandy Gardens and Planting Nuts

2nd place and 25 packs of seeds each because they tied are Aline Huey and Mkruby

Honorable mention and some seeds will go to Nalani and Bojo96

Winners please email me your addresses please so that I can mail out your prize right away, Thank-you.

Again thank-you for participating and May all your wishes come true!!!!!! Congratulations everyone!!!!!
    Merry Christmas
    Nancy aka sunshine98 on GW

• sandysgardens
    18 years ago

Nancy (Sunshine 98)

I am truely thankful for being one of your chosen winners. I can't thank you and everyone else, who are contributing seeds, enough for such a generous offer!! I can't wait to tell Jack on Christmas Eve (my family has him join all of us for Holidays) that I will be sowing, sowing and sowing these seeds which will help make it possible to create flower beds/spots for more of his neighbors and friends.
    Oh, I just called my sister that helped me this past summer with the gardens, to tell her the good news. She said she is ready and raring to help me again this coming spring/summer to plant. She and I can hardly wait!!!! She is upping our count of gardens too - whew it will be fun!!

I will send you an email with my mailing address. Please let me know what else I need to supply.

THANKS again to you all!

Wishing many blossoms for many years to come to everyone here on the GardenWeb!
    Sandy
    Sandysgardens.

• alinehuey
    18 years ago

well I must say I was surprised to be named a winner. I entered mostly to share my story. It was an exilerating day and it would not have been the same without the kids. I felt it was a lesson for them as well as myself I have pictures of the kids sitting on the garden wall.
    I will put the seeds to good use. I may even be able to use some in the bed mentioned in the story.
    Aline

• mgood4u
    18 years ago

HI! Congrats to the winners! I have the addresses and I plan on sending out some seeds to all or some of you winners, depending on many I have to spare! So keep an eye out and happy gardening! Thanks for hosting this nice contest sunshine98!

• mkruby7
    18 years ago

Wow, I won. I can't wait to get the seeds, so I can share them with my neighor.

Thank you, mkruby

• sandysgardens
    18 years ago

Sunshine98 (Nancy)

A very nice Xmas present arrived in todays (12/24) mailbox - an envy stuffed with seeds. Wow - I am soooooo excited. It really made my day, that I could let Jack know that I have all these seeds to plant and get ready for more garden building this coming summer. Jack's currently in the hospital soon to go to rehab, and this is a great xmas brightener for him and I.

Thanks again everyone, I truely love everyones kindness.

Take care
    Sandy

• miles_grower
    16 years ago

My Wifes Garden Shed http://photos.ivillage.com/images/photos/resize/gardenweb_Garden Galleries_1197528941123_463639D.jpg

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    16 years ago

miles_grower,

Welcome to Garden Web!

My, what a beautiful shed in a beautiful setting.

Sue...just a little curious as to why you posted to 'this' thread

• graanieb
    16 years ago

Sue, you think it might be time to restart this one?
    I don't know why I didn't nominate Sunshine-Nancy as the overall winner for always doing good deeds, for others and for my family for instance, after Katrina, she organized a Garden Web help drive and we thought her and other friends here our true heroes, thank you Nancy most of all and others, I said I'll not forget and never will.
    Except may be when my hands are burning with hot peppers, lol, no way again.

Wishing you all the meanings of Christmas,

Bea

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County