SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jlbartley_gw

Bare Acre Front Yard - Design Help Needed

jlbartley
11 years ago

We just built a house last year and I'm in need of help figuring out where to plant trees, mainly. I am struggling with what you do with a space this big. It used to be a corn field so there's nothing on it. I'm trying to tackle the front yard to start with and we'll get to the back yard later. Essentially I have a 1 acre blank slate. This is a picture of the north side/front of our house.

Ideas:

1 - I'd like to plant some decorative trees/bushes along the sides of the front yard to define the property a bit. This would also help block the views of a house across the street to the right and one to the left of the house as you look at it from this photo. Do I just place single trees here? I have 2 candymint crabapples that I was debating on using either to break up the view of the neighbors houses (knowing they will not fully block the view but just give something more interesting to look at)or to plant on either side of the entrance to the driveway. Thoughts?

2 - There's a telephone pole at the front of the yard that I'd like to plant a maple or some other sort of larger hardwood in front of to break up the view of.

3 - I'm thinking of planting 2 decorative trees in the garden beds near the house. 1 in front of the larger windows to the right where the roof peak is and the other in front of the double windows to the left of the front porch.

Question: I would love to plant a dwarf weeping cherry somewhere. I was thinking of doing it in the space to the right where the roof peak is. I have approx 18-19 feet of garden bed here. Is this tree too dense that it will block this window too much? I am ok with pruning and don't want a tree that is taller than the house here.

Question: I was thinking of planting a smaller magnolia (maybe Magnolia Stellata Rosea) in front of the double windows to the left of the front porch. I have around 14' of width to this space. It is surrounded by a sidewalk but I've read that this version's roots are typically safe around a sidewalk. Thoughts?

I'm going to add some additional posts with pictures so you can see additional views. I would love your thoughts on the ideas above.

Thanks for any advice you can give around what to do with this space. Good thing is there are so many options. Bad thing is there are so many options. Please help!

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting