SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pls8xx

On Site Calculations - Area

pls8xx
17 years ago

If you do construction as well as design, sooner or later, you will be on site and need to determine the area of some irregular multi-sided shape. All that fancy software back at the office won't be any help, the contractor wants to call for the concrete, sod, or mulch, now not tomorrow.

What follows is how I make these calculations using a tape, pad and pen, and a hand calculator. I'm just going to cover the "how" not the "why". If you want to know the "why", take an asprin, and go start with the term "double meridian distance".

On the graphic below I show a 5 sided shape on a grid. Each of the corners has been asigned a consecutive number around the shape.

Next the coordinates are found for each corner from the grid, shown on the graphic in blue.

{{gwi:42805}}

Using the form shown below, enter the corner numbers and coordinates. This is set up for a right handed person. If you are a lefty, you will want to reverse all of the columns so that the corner numbers are on the right side of the page.

The last value of the third column is duplicated and entered above the first number of this column. What was the first value of the column is duplicated and entered below the last one as shown in the graphic.

{{gwi:42807}}

Two fingers of the left hand are slightly spread and placed on the form, shown as a shaded area, such that the fingers point to the top value in column 3 and the second one down. The first value of column 2 lies between the fingers.

The right hand is free to do a short calulation of these three numbers with a hand calculator. Starting with the upper value of column 3, subtract the lower value and multiply the result by the value in column 2. This is shown on a slant in brown on the graphic. The result is entered in column 4.

The fingers are moved down one row and the operation is repeated. Note that some of the values are positive, some negative.

All of the values of column 4 are then totaled and divided by 2 to get the area which may be expressed as either a positive or negative number.

Does it work? Look back to the first graphic. There are three full shaded squares and six half squares that add up to 6 square units.

The only difference in a 20 sided shape is the number of rows of data.

Comments (26)

• jake
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

If this "formula" is factual then being a righty or lefty should make no difference, learn to use the tool the way it was designed to be used.

Jake

• pls8xx
    Original Author
    17 years ago

This particular adaptation of a standard math calculation is my own, developed over 25 yars ago. You won't see it in a book. As the originator, I would have thought I had the liberty to suggest a column reversal for lefties.

"If this "formula" is factual ...."

If you stay in college long enough this subject will be covered. It won't look the same. Them academic folks like to make things look complcated. Makes the students think they're gettin' something for their money.

Some of the more practical schools tone down the BS a bit and teach something that is almost usable. The Paul Smith College in upstate New York has an online page that I have linked to below and it shows an academic approach to the problem.

Near the bottom there are some example problems. Just to keep my skills up, I think I'll work the 5 sided polygon of example 3. Since I'm an uneducated redneck with no book learnin', I'll have to do it my way.

Good field math is that which can be done in the midst of loud heavy equipment when the temp is a 100 and the sweat is running down in your eyes.

There seems to be zero interest in this thread. I'm almost sorry I started it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Paul Smth's College, area by coordinates

• Related Discussions

Online planting date calculator?

Q

Comments (9)
    Well Sahira, you've now waited over 24 hours for our internet savvy gardeners and no one has posted a reply. Let me tell you what I came up with: The University of Nebraska at one time had a www.plantguide.com. The WayBackMachine indicates that it was pulled off the net in 2005. That site had something the called a "Planting Date Calculator" and, apparently from what I can read, it was fairly sophisticated and not just some rudimentary list of dates. During the few years it was out there, I guess I missed it completely . . . I checked some ag sites which list farm resources for ALL KINDS of calculators. There was nothing really on planting dates. Something that happens with these university resources is that they are funded by grants. When the grant money runs out . . . if they aren't actually pulled, they become dated and fall into obsolescence. It would be nice if 2008 planting information was specific to the 2008 growing season. Since weather is forto me, at least) to have a hard-and-fast date for much of anything. Oh yes, I know that some folks just CANNOT get a garden in until Memorial Day weekend when they've finally got time to do it. It makes sense for them to have a date specific. Personally, I'm becoming more and more inclined to use soil temperature as a guide for when a seed should go in. But, thatÂs me. A Weather Service website that I came across not too long ago gives ongoing growing degree days information thru every growing season. If the gardener wanted to use air temperature as a guide, one could set some benchmarks based on personal experience or, I'm sure, internet research. But just for the sake of some examples, let's say that I found that 100 growing degree days should accumulate before I put cool-weather vegetable seed in the ground. And, 400 degree days should occur before planting warm-weather vegetables. That website is updated weekly by the Weather Service for some US locations. It would be a fairly easy process to keep track of the Spring weather. Being ready to grab the seed packets and race out the backdoor at the right moment may be another thing. Steve
    ...See More

Boston-area site for Chinese antique table?

Q

Comments (2)
    Hi Laura, Gorgeous table! I don't know Boston anymore, but I have two recommendations. First, locate a reputable (not necessarily expensive or high-end) auction house near you. Introduce yourself and tell them what you are looking for. It can be a waiting game, but the pay-off can be great ... I have some exceptional Chinese pieces, and because Asian was not what this house was known for I had little competition and really cleaned up. The second, probably expensive option, would be to visit the Boston Design center, although you will need an interior designer to make the purchase for you. Some of the companies make fab repros, but they are pricey. Hope this helps! Baer
    ...See More

Warning: Constant Building Site Burglaries in our Area

Q

Comments (17)
    If there is a bunch of building going on in the area and everyone is getting burlarized, perhaps you and several other neighbors who are building could go in together to hire a single private security guard to patrol all of your building sites. Also, find out whether your builder seems to be particularly "unlucky" with regard to having his building sites burglarized. Sad to say but I've heard that sometimes the thief turns out to be the builder himself who is stealing materials from one client in order to increase his profit margins on another build! For example, a builder who low-balled his bids can purchase a single entry door, install it in client A's house and then when client A isn't watching, go "steal" that door and install it in client B's house. Client A's insurance company pays to purchase another door while the builder pockets the money he would have had to spend to purchase a door for Client B. A builder who is building several homes at the same time can circulate the same materials thru a whole bunch of homes and wind up getting the various homeowners' insurance companies to foot the bill for a big portion of his materials' costs.
    ...See More

Gunite calculations

Q

Comments (18)
    to awoodwaring, I also live in northern ca an have started a owner build. I would lve some contacts on sub constractors as my deisgn man I feel may have taken advantage of me. he charged 1800 for design and engineering. he did generic engineering from a company in LA and did not give me any contractor worksheets or specs. I did get permt process started with city but difficult to get bids without exact measurements on some of the pool items (steps, ledge, etc... He said he deigned it to cost less than 50k t build then came back with his bid over 66k and another 18k optional extras. I would love to discuss options. I am in the east sf bay area between sac & sf
    ...See More
  • inkognito
    17 years ago

pls8xx you are adding an interesting perspective(et boucoup plus de exprience) to this forum, you are doing a good job. pls don't give up.

• creatrix
    17 years ago

I'll try the problem tomorrow- I was just breezing by the forum on my way to bed. I'm too fuzzy right now for this type of exercise.

I'm with ink- I'll take any good short cuts/instruction I can get.

• pls8xx
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It's all about bringing in the project on time, on budget. Doing accurate field computations is a part of keeping control.

In its self, area calculations may not be a big factor in cost control, but when added to other proceedures, it is the heart of determining grade cut and fill quantities, which can have a much greater impact.

I did my homework, the Example 3 refered to above. My worksheet ....

{{gwi:42808}}

The college boys got this one right too. I didn't check their answers to the other problems.

I didn't invent the math. Others use a proceedure similar to mine, like the guys at the Alabama DOT. I link one of their pages below(pdf file, pg 6 of 6). But like me, they sometimes do the computations on a tailgate, not in a classroom. I still like my way better.

• creatrix
    17 years ago

I listed the coordinates in the opposite order (maybe because I'm a lefty?). All my values were negatives, but the digits match.

And it is hard to mask the numbers with your dominant hand- I can calculate with the right, but I ended up writing the values from right to left on the left side of the chart. And lifting up from the chart makes it hard to get back to where you were. I'm sure I'll get as good as a righty with time!

• pls8xx
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Lefties should reverse all the column on the worksheet as below ...

{{gwi:42810}}

Two fingers of the right hand keep the place on the form while the left hand is free to run the calculator.

• ichabod
    17 years ago

Many thanks pls8xx for posting this, just what I've been looking for. Have you tried using a GPS receiver to get the coordinates? Set your GPS to read UTM instead of degrees, minutes, and seconds and the last few digits of the readout is in meters east and north of a reference line. Do the calculations and convert back to square feet, yards, furlongs or whatever. Once the WAAS feature is operational this fall the accuracy should be about +/- 6 feet or so. I'm going to try it at the farm when the weather cools off a little bit.

Thanks again,
    Ichabod

• creatrix
    17 years ago

I understood your instructions for lefties- I just wanted to see how 'just use the tool' would work. I can pour punch out of a right handed ladle, but it is easier for me if it has two lips.

I could use the tool, but it will be easier if the columns are reversed, as you suggested.

• drhooke
    17 years ago

Interesting. I really like this. It seams to be useful for straight lines. But keep in mind that simple geometry can be easy too.

I see Area Square(#1,#2,#4,#5) minus Area Triangle(#2,#3,#4).

{{gwi:42812}}

• txjenny
    17 years ago

Okay, i give. I've been looking at this thread for awhile and I'm very intimidated by the math and angles! But I'm going to give it a try. I've had many times at a site when I couldn't figure out how to take a measurement correctly. Anyway I'll let you now if I'm successful and have one of those Eureka moments. Trust me, if I can do it, anyone can!

• drhooke
    17 years ago

Missing Image (sorry).
    {{gwi:42814}}

Another simple geometry solution would be:

Shaded_Area = 3/4 x Area_of_Square

RE: On Site Calculations - Area

If you have a simple area you have a simple solution. I'm trying to find the area of a plot of pine trees that has a shape about like the State of Texas and I have no drawing of it. How would drhooke solve that? I'm going to use my gps to find UTM coordinates and use the method pls8xx proposed.

Ichabod

As drhooke points out there are a number of simple ways to find the area of the first example I used. Even the irregular polygon I linked to at Paul Smth's College can be subdivided into triangles and then worked by aplying the function 1/2 base * height. The problem is you have to calculate the height of each of the triangles first. My experience is that irregular polygons are common in real projects.

Let's consider what a real life project might be like. Suppose you are well into construction of a re-do of an upscale backyard. The area to have sod has been marked on the ground.

Now it could be that the base map used for design was very precise. Cad was used and the area for sod was accurately provided by the software. There have been no changes of the design in construction and the area for sod has been staked on the ground per the plan. If this is the way all your projects go, then you can skip the rest of this post.

The contract and bid documents list 1200 sq yd of sod. What if the quantity is really a little more or less.

Let's take the 'more' look first. The contractor orders 1200 yd and begins laying at the back of the property so that equipment is not driven over the laid sod. He runs out of sod a 100 yd short of doing the area around the patio.

What are your options. You might try to bluff the contractor by telling him it was a Cad design and the grass farm must have shorted him on the sod. Get caught doing this and you will have big trouble way past this project.

Or you could have the extra sod laid and suffer the cost overrun. The contractor doesn't want to pay the delivery fee for another 100 yd and happens to have some left over sod from three weeks ago, still alive, but barely. More trouble. Maybe you can have him pull up sod at the back of the property and move it to fill in around the patio. Yep, he'll do it as soon as you give him a change order so he gets paid for the work.

Now if you had just made a few measurements and calc'ed the area before the sod was ordered you would have known what the situation was. All of the options would have been open to you. You could go with a cost overrun, srink the sod area in a place you could live with, or take some other solution.

What if the sod area is really less. The contractor orders 1200 yd and has 100 yd left over. The documents said 1200 yd, he ordered 1200. Do you want to try and tell the guy he will only get paid for 1100 yd? But your client only got 1100.

Look how easy it would have been if you had told the contractor before he ordered the sod that there was really only 1100 yd to be done and that would be all that he would be paid for.

Keep things straight and fair for both the client and the contractor. You'll finnish with a happy client and a contractor quick to make a good bid on your next project.

• Posted by: cady 6b/Sunset34 MA (My Page) on Fri, Sep 8, 06 at 12:56

For some reason, the images aren't showing up on my view. The tables do, but not the diagrams. Phooey.

But, I remember this calculus both from my landscape architecture textbook, and from an instruction book on building water gardens (for calculating the amount of concrete for an irregular pool, and for the volume of water with which to fill it).

It has been handy for caluculating amounts of peastone and mulch, but I've not had to use it more than a couple times. Usually, the spaces I'm working are conventional rectangles, squares, circles. Dumb luck, most probably!

• Posted by: laag z6CapeCod (My Page) on Fri, Sep 8, 06 at 17:33

Areas of organic shapes are easily measured by baseline dimensioning and then averaging. That is running out a tape and taking perpendicular measurements at equal intervals from that baseline. You add up all of the lateral dimensions and divide by the number of those dimensions. Then multiply by the length of the baseline. It is accurate and simple.

When rougher esitmates need to be made quickly on not too wavy an area, you can measure the length of the area and then eyeball where the average width is perpendicular to that length and measure that width. Then multiply by the baseline and you know the approximate area.

Ichabod,
    The GPS should give good results for timber areas over 200 acres. For smaller tracts the percentage of error may be more than you would want.

cady, the diagrams for the tables are not posted here. I'm working an example problem from the Paul Smith College web site. Check the link at the bottom of this post to go there.

laag gives us another way to estimate area. As they say .."More than one way to skin a cat." We might want to look at how this works.

Below is a graphic of an "organic" shape on a grid with a base line shown. Perhaps laag or anyone else could suggest an interval distance to use on this model. Hopefully the grid is clear enough give the base line to shape edge distances. Anyone care to work it with me? Refer to laag's post above for instructions.

{{gwi:42816}}

Here is a link that might be useful: for cady, diagram for example problem

• Posted by: cady 6b/Sunset34 MA (My Page) on Sat, Sep 9, 06 at 20:54

Thanks for the link to the example, Pls8xx. That one came through intact.

(Quote)The GPS should give good results for timber areas over 200 acres. For smaller tracts the percentage of error may be more than you would want. (Unquote)

Not necessarily. I just "surveyed" my property using my Garmin Map76. To save time on the calculations I used the metric calculator at the link below and got 2.49 Hectares, which is 6.15 acres. My official plat shows it to be 6.46 acres, or less than 5% error. Might have gotten it closer but I have lost two of my corner pins.

I was simply suggesting a quick easy way to get the coordinates in the field. Been wondering, how do you get them?

Ichabod

Here is a link that might be useful: Woodlot calculator

Ichabod,

My comments on the precision of GPS for small tracts was based on what is generally acceptable in today's world. If you go to a meat market to buy steak you expect the scale used to measure it to be better than plus or minus 5%. Same thing at the gas pump. Most commercial ventures of any type operate on a final bottom line margin of not much more than 10%. Logic would hold that quantity management of any part of the operation is desired to be less than 1 to 2%.

Put yourself in a job, or even a marrige, where the profit margin is 1% and everyone gets stressed out. It ain't fun. I hate accounting, being a bean counter is one small step up from being a ditch digger. They are a neccessary evil to maintain a profit, but they tend to be penny wise and pound foolish. You can't let 'em run the show.

I would expect GPS to get 1% precision on tracts greater than 200 acres. Use of two GPS units and a radio where both units are read at the same time, and coordinates are taken based on the difference in position, should give 1% precision on tracts greater than 40 acres. The expensive differential GPS units that surveyors use will get high precision on tracts as small as 2000 sq ft.

You ask how I would obtain coordinates. It would depend on the cimcumstance. For areas under about 30,000 sq ft I would make taped measurements from two perpendicular base lines. For blocky shaped tracts up to 10 acres I would probably do angle and distance measurements from a central location. Tracts larger than 10 acres and smaller than 100 acres need a survey crew. Above that and GPS takes over.

When making complex calculations one should always seek to employ some element of redundancy as a check for gross errors and blunders. Look back at the last graphic I posted. If the grid units are in feet it is easy to see that the approximate dimensions are about 180 by 95, or an area of 17,100 sq ft. Any calculation of area that is way off this amount will be wrong.

When I invited others to estimate the area of the shape, I failed to tell you that it is composed of standard geometrical shapes, segments of pure circular curves connected with straight lines. As such, the shape can be subdivided into its components and the true and exact area can be determined. I did this and the true area of the shape is 16,303.5

Then I made estimates of the area by the baseline average method suggested by laag. For the first run I used an interval of 20 feet. The 20 data points used, left and right, were:
    (0,0) (0,0) (20,56) (20,-30) (40,59) (40,-49) (60,56) (60,-48) (80,52) (80,-43), (100,53) (100,-43) (120,55) (120,-50) (140,50) (140,-55) (160,41) (160,-48) (180,24) (180,0).

The area derived was 16,240 or 99.6% of the true value.

For a second run I chose an interval of 30 feet.
    (0,0) (0,0) (30,56) (30,-40) (60,56) (60,-48) (90,51) (90,-40) (120,55) (120,-50) (150,46) (150,-54) (180,24) (180,0)

The result was 15,606 or 95.7% or the true value.

These two calculations demonstrate what you can expect from the baseline average method of estimating area. The precision is dependant on the shape, the interval selected and how the intervals fit the shape. It can give good results but errors of plus or minus 5% are not uncommon.

Are you wondering what I would have done in the field? In the graphic below I show how I would have walked around the shape and set points such that the straight line between them was a good representation of the boundary.

{{gwi:42818}}

Calculation is done as I outlined at the start of this thread.
    The data points are:
    (0,0) (15,50) (48,62) (85,50) (115,55), (150,48) (180,25) (180,0) (167.5,-42.5) (150,-55) (135,-55) (90,-40) (45,-52) (19,-30)

The result is 16,270 or 99.8% of the true value. This method always yields high precision values, the measurements required are not more than needed for other methods, and the math is just not that complicated.

• Posted by: Debbie 5 (debiluis@hotmail.com) on Mon, May 28, 07 at 16:35

I am trying to figure out the square footage of our property. The measurements are: back= 180.58, left side= 134.71, right side= 163.91, front= 51.21. I know this is an irregular polygon, but I do not know how to calculate this. Please help.

The calculation cannot be done from the info given.

I am going to guess that the measurements were taken from some type of survey plat. Look and see if directions of the lines are shown (such as N23 47' W), or maybe angles at the line intersections are shown.

The calculation can be done with the addition on one angle or the direction of two connecting lines.

This is a version of Surveyors formula:
    Area = [(X1*Y2) - (X2*Y1)] + ... + [(Xn*Y1) - (X1*Yn)]

There are some software that does just that. I use ArePoly (www.openspacesoft.com), it's simple and quick.

Here is a link that might be useful: Arepoly - Open space software

Post a Follow-Up
    Your Name:

Your Email Address:

Zone (optional):

Subject of Posting:

Optional Link URL:

Name of the Link: Return to the Landscape Design Forum

• ichabod
    17 years ago

{{gwi:42814}}

Another simple geometry solution would be:

Shaded_Area = 3/4 x Area_of_Square

• pls8xx
    Original Author
    17 years ago

If you have a simple area you have a simple solution. I'm trying to find the area of a plot of pine trees that has a shape about like the State of Texas and I have no drawing of it. How would drhooke solve that? I'm going to use my gps to find UTM coordinates and use the method pls8xx proposed.

Ichabod

• Cady
    17 years ago

As drhooke points out there are a number of simple ways to find the area of the first example I used. Even the irregular polygon I linked to at Paul Smth's College can be subdivided into triangles and then worked by aplying the function 1/2 base * height. The problem is you have to calculate the height of each of the triangles first. My experience is that irregular polygons are common in real projects.

Let's consider what a real life project might be like. Suppose you are well into construction of a re-do of an upscale backyard. The area to have sod has been marked on the ground.

Now it could be that the base map used for design was very precise. Cad was used and the area for sod was accurately provided by the software. There have been no changes of the design in construction and the area for sod has been staked on the ground per the plan. If this is the way all your projects go, then you can skip the rest of this post.

The contract and bid documents list 1200 sq yd of sod. What if the quantity is really a little more or less.

Let's take the 'more' look first. The contractor orders 1200 yd and begins laying at the back of the property so that equipment is not driven over the laid sod. He runs out of sod a 100 yd short of doing the area around the patio.

What are your options. You might try to bluff the contractor by telling him it was a Cad design and the grass farm must have shorted him on the sod. Get caught doing this and you will have big trouble way past this project.

Or you could have the extra sod laid and suffer the cost overrun. The contractor doesn't want to pay the delivery fee for another 100 yd and happens to have some left over sod from three weeks ago, still alive, but barely. More trouble. Maybe you can have him pull up sod at the back of the property and move it to fill in around the patio. Yep, he'll do it as soon as you give him a change order so he gets paid for the work.

Now if you had just made a few measurements and calc'ed the area before the sod was ordered you would have known what the situation was. All of the options would have been open to you. You could go with a cost overrun, srink the sod area in a place you could live with, or take some other solution.

What if the sod area is really less. The contractor orders 1200 yd and has 100 yd left over. The documents said 1200 yd, he ordered 1200. Do you want to try and tell the guy he will only get paid for 1100 yd? But your client only got 1100.

Look how easy it would have been if you had told the contractor before he ordered the sod that there was really only 1100 yd to be done and that would be all that he would be paid for.

Keep things straight and fair for both the client and the contractor. You'll finnish with a happy client and a contractor quick to make a good bid on your next project.

• laag
    17 years ago

For some reason, the images aren't showing up on my view. The tables do, but not the diagrams. Phooey.

But, I remember this calculus both from my landscape architecture textbook, and from an instruction book on building water gardens (for calculating the amount of concrete for an irregular pool, and for the volume of water with which to fill it).

It has been handy for caluculating amounts of peastone and mulch, but I've not had to use it more than a couple times. Usually, the spaces I'm working are conventional rectangles, squares, circles. Dumb luck, most probably!

• pls8xx
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Areas of organic shapes are easily measured by baseline dimensioning and then averaging. That is running out a tape and taking perpendicular measurements at equal intervals from that baseline. You add up all of the lateral dimensions and divide by the number of those dimensions. Then multiply by the length of the baseline. It is accurate and simple.

When rougher esitmates need to be made quickly on not too wavy an area, you can measure the length of the area and then eyeball where the average width is perpendicular to that length and measure that width. Then multiply by the baseline and you know the approximate area.

• Cady
    17 years ago

Ichabod,
    The GPS should give good results for timber areas over 200 acres. For smaller tracts the percentage of error may be more than you would want.

cady, the diagrams for the tables are not posted here. I'm working an example problem from the Paul Smith College web site. Check the link at the bottom of this post to go there.

laag gives us another way to estimate area. As they say .."More than one way to skin a cat." We might want to look at how this works.

Below is a graphic of an "organic" shape on a grid with a base line shown. Perhaps laag or anyone else could suggest an interval distance to use on this model. Hopefully the grid is clear enough give the base line to shape edge distances. Anyone care to work it with me? Refer to laag's post above for instructions.

{{gwi:42816}}

• ichabod
    17 years ago

Thanks for the link to the example, Pls8xx. That one came through intact.

• pls8xx
    Original Author
    17 years ago

(Quote)The GPS should give good results for timber areas over 200 acres. For smaller tracts the percentage of error may be more than you would want. (Unquote)

Not necessarily. I just "surveyed" my property using my Garmin Map76. To save time on the calculations I used the metric calculator at the link below and got 2.49 Hectares, which is 6.15 acres. My official plat shows it to be 6.46 acres, or less than 5% error. Might have gotten it closer but I have lost two of my corner pins.

I was simply suggesting a quick easy way to get the coordinates in the field. Been wondering, how do you get them?

Ichabod

• pls8xx
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ichabod,

My comments on the precision of GPS for small tracts was based on what is generally acceptable in today's world. If you go to a meat market to buy steak you expect the scale used to measure it to be better than plus or minus 5%. Same thing at the gas pump. Most commercial ventures of any type operate on a final bottom line margin of not much more than 10%. Logic would hold that quantity management of any part of the operation is desired to be less than 1 to 2%.

Put yourself in a job, or even a marrige, where the profit margin is 1% and everyone gets stressed out. It ain't fun. I hate accounting, being a bean counter is one small step up from being a ditch digger. They are a neccessary evil to maintain a profit, but they tend to be penny wise and pound foolish. You can't let 'em run the show.

I would expect GPS to get 1% precision on tracts greater than 200 acres. Use of two GPS units and a radio where both units are read at the same time, and coordinates are taken based on the difference in position, should give 1% precision on tracts greater than 40 acres. The expensive differential GPS units that surveyors use will get high precision on tracts as small as 2000 sq ft.

You ask how I would obtain coordinates. It would depend on the cimcumstance. For areas under about 30,000 sq ft I would make taped measurements from two perpendicular base lines. For blocky shaped tracts up to 10 acres I would probably do angle and distance measurements from a central location. Tracts larger than 10 acres and smaller than 100 acres need a survey crew. Above that and GPS takes over.

• debiluis_hotmail_com
    16 years ago

When making complex calculations one should always seek to employ some element of redundancy as a check for gross errors and blunders. Look back at the last graphic I posted. If the grid units are in feet it is easy to see that the approximate dimensions are about 180 by 95, or an area of 17,100 sq ft. Any calculation of area that is way off this amount will be wrong.

When I invited others to estimate the area of the shape, I failed to tell you that it is composed of standard geometrical shapes, segments of pure circular curves connected with straight lines. As such, the shape can be subdivided into its components and the true and exact area can be determined. I did this and the true area of the shape is 16,303.5

Then I made estimates of the area by the baseline average method suggested by laag. For the first run I used an interval of 20 feet. The 20 data points used, left and right, were:
    (0,0) (0,0) (20,56) (20,-30) (40,59) (40,-49) (60,56) (60,-48) (80,52) (80,-43), (100,53) (100,-43) (120,55) (120,-50) (140,50) (140,-55) (160,41) (160,-48) (180,24) (180,0).

The area derived was 16,240 or 99.6% of the true value.

For a second run I chose an interval of 30 feet.
    (0,0) (0,0) (30,56) (30,-40) (60,56) (60,-48) (90,51) (90,-40) (120,55) (120,-50) (150,46) (150,-54) (180,24) (180,0)

The result was 15,606 or 95.7% or the true value.

These two calculations demonstrate what you can expect from the baseline average method of estimating area. The precision is dependant on the shape, the interval selected and how the intervals fit the shape. It can give good results but errors of plus or minus 5% are not uncommon.

Are you wondering what I would have done in the field? In the graphic below I show how I would have walked around the shape and set points such that the straight line between them was a good representation of the boundary.

{{gwi:42818}}

Calculation is done as I outlined at the start of this thread.
    The data points are:
    (0,0) (15,50) (48,62) (85,50) (115,55), (150,48) (180,25) (180,0) (167.5,-42.5) (150,-55) (135,-55) (90,-40) (45,-52) (19,-30)

The result is 16,270 or 99.8% of the true value. This method always yields high precision values, the measurements required are not more than needed for other methods, and the math is just not that complicated.

• pls8xx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am trying to figure out the square footage of our property. The measurements are: back= 180.58, left side= 134.71, right side= 163.91, front= 51.21. I know this is an irregular polygon, but I do not know how to calculate this. Please help.

• saxp
    16 years ago

The calculation cannot be done from the info given.

I am going to guess that the measurements were taken from some type of survey plat. Look and see if directions of the lines are shown (such as N23 47' W), or maybe angles at the line intersections are shown.

The calculation can be done with the addition on one angle or the direction of two connecting lines.

• Elliott Dobbs
    9 years ago

I use SketchAndCalc's web app (although I understand there's an Android App now) and save a bunch of time and head scratching. Just draw the area and it'll spit out square area and perimeter results.

• Elliott Dobbs
    9 years ago

Here's the link to the Area Calculator should you need it.