SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gaviota_gal

Ideas for screening the next door neighbor's house

gaviota_gal
14 years ago

My son just finished putting up a beautiful pavillion attached on one side to the back of his Calif. Craftsman bungalow. As you enter the gate off of the driveway (it is 8 feet tall and obscures the view of the backyard) you look through the pavillion and see the 5'8" fence at the far side covered in old lavender trumpet vines. The problem is that just over the fence, and framed by his pavillion, is the old, not beautiful house next door. My question is, how can this most easily, inexpensively, and beautifully be screened? At first I thought about Ficus benjamina trees, five, single trunks with mop head greenery for an evergreen body of dense leaves to break up the view with low shrubs between them. This is Los Angeles. The planting bed is only about two feet wide with breathing room for the vine fence and then the bricks of the patio are close.

Three different nurserymen told me that any Ficus has invasive roots and not to use them. One said Pittosporum Silver Sheen but I read that sudden death is a big issue with them and that some people are very allergic to them if they touch them. It doesn't seem that this should be so difficult but I can't figure out what to put there that will do the trick and quickly. Can anyone help me?

Thank you.

Comments (6)