SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
acw2355

Converting dog run into enclosed private garden

acw2355
11 years ago

I've gotten lots of good advice from here so I'm back with another project. We have a fenced back area that has been used for primarily a dog run and drying laundry while we've been working on landscaping the front yard.

This area has a chain link fence which we will keep. I'd like to consider making a hedge using Euonymous "Green Spire" on the south side by the yellow house. We don't plan to use much in the way of flowers. We'd like to use foliage for colors and create an Asian style/inspired private garden area. The arborvitae you see is on the neighbor's side of the fence.

My husband dug up the center and put gravel in it. The intention was to make a patio of sorts using pavers in gravel. He has not yet pursued this! I would like to use 24" architectural pavers set in gravel. I don't want stone that one could trip over - some of the flagstone looks pretty jagged around edges. Husband wants to keep a border of grass around paved area so dogs may do "their business."

The house was built in 1950 and is considered a "cottage-ranch" style. It would lend itself to an Asian influence depending on what plants and accessories we choose.

Exposure from the back door looks east. East side does have some trees which cast afternoon shade. The yellow house is on the south side. Our house is on the west and north side of this fenced area.

Some ideas are to use dwarf conifers (so many choices - which ones?) mixed in with other interesting evergreen and deciduous materials. I do have a small Cham.Saaken Sugi which I thought would be nice in SE corner. Would get morning sun, afternoon shade.

I'd be most grateful for any suggestions. I learn so much from these forums.

Cheers from Vancouver WA

Comments (24)