SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jillp_gw

Garden re-do., or how I converted to a ruthless gardner

JillP
18 years ago

Been gardening here for 22 years (geeze I am getting old), and things need tweaked. Our last 2 or 3 growings seasons have been more like the Pacific Northwest than Ohio. Cool and wet. Things have grown fantastically. Last year the garden was lush. This year I need a flame thrower. Guns-n-Roses song "Welcome to the Jungle" plays in my head each time I step out the back door. Last fall I turned the veggie bed into a evergreen bed (needed to screen out undesirable view, should have done it years ago) and actually converted a section to grass, what a swittch from the annual removal of sod to make more beds. I decided to turn the sun bed into the vegie bed, and invited friends to come on over and take some plants. This bed is about 12' wide by 30' long. To date, a neighbor has taken a wheelbarrow full, someone has filled a small SUV, and another has taken a full size pick-up truck load out. I had taken the Van Fleet rose done to a stump as I had let it get WAY out of hand, so the peonies around it look so good this year, now that they have room. The Good Dr. is coming back nicely, and I promise I will never let it take over again. The bed is starting to look pretty good, so good, that I don't think I want to convert it to the veggie bed, but just re-work it.

Now where do I put the veggie bed? This year I am just tucking tomatos and peppers here and there, and still have my little lettuce and onion patch.

I got my little bubbler pond (whiskey barral liner buried in ground) up and running this weekend. It took me a while to find it. The hostas and day lillies had consumed it. (anybody watch the cartoon "Pinkie and the Brain"? It started each episode with: "What are we going to do today, Brain?" "Try and take over the world like we do every day, Pinkie" Only It would be "What are we going to do today, Hosta?" "Try and take over the garden like we do everyday, Day lilly."

I also did some ruthless shovel pruning. No more sentimental gardening for me. If the plant was struggling it was going, no more trying to save every little thing I had ever planted. So, I removed two climbing Blaze Roses that had reverted to their root stock. Pretty roses, but very short blooming period and blact spot. Gone. Removed the China Boy Holly that had limped along, the female was doing very well. Poor China Boy was root bound, and strangling itself. I replaced it with a Van hutten Spirea. I know I will not have berries on China Girl, but she is still a pretty plant. 2 bronxii forsythia that I had got for free and tried in 3 different places were yanked for not blooming, and I don't find Forsythia an attractive shaped plant. Besides I have a big ole for. that came with the house that blooms it silly head off thanks to its location next to the compost pile.

I limbed up several trees, which the mowers, the dh and ds, appreciate. I am giving the Quince trees one more year to redeem themselves. I removed many limbs in a hope that more air circulation will prevent the Ugly quince blight where they lose all leaves by end of July. If not, they are gone and I will replace with some other small tree, not sure what.

I pitched so monay common ditch lillies and garden phlox I had a mountain of plants. Since I am just a lightweight composter, I know my pile will never get hot enough to kill the day lillies, they went to the landfill. I truely think in the far future archeologists will locate old landfills not by the remains of baby diapers and hazardous waste, but by the expanse of invasive garden plants like day lillies, Ajuga, Bishop's Weed, etc.

Things are starting to come together. What a difference from the early years when I was in a planting frensy and would take any free plants offered. Now it is remonval and relocating time. Way more selective in what I plant. And the dh wanted to know what I was going to do in the garden now that it is "all done".

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor
More Discussions