SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
slashy

Improvised container: Dumped shopping trolley

slashy
16 years ago

I scavenged a dumped shopping trolley recently from near my house with the aim of turning it into a slightly ambitious container planting (one of the wheels has broken off & the handle is cracked, so the shopping centre didn't want it back and told me to call the council for rubbish collection- but the wire cage is structurally sound and I'm always in need of somewhere to plant stuff). I'm looking for a way to keep dirt in it- a lining, basically. It's WAY bigger than any of my other improvised containers (boots, wicker baskets, collanders, saucepans etc) so I doubt I can use my usual method of lining with mosquito wire. Whatever I line it with needs to be pretty inexpensive, as well as holding the dirt & allowing it to drain- that's a lot of surface it'll need to cover.

Does anyone have experience of using hessian as a container lining? I can get hessian sacks very cheap from a local reuse/recycle place. My concerns are that it might dry out too fast- is plastic generally better for these big containers?- and that it might rot quickly and allow the dirt to fall through. Having never used hessian in the garden, I have no idea what the likelihood of that is.

If hessian is unlikely to work out, any other suggestions for an appropriate lining material?

My other question is: if a container is big enough (my rough guess is that a shopping trolley makes for a 1.5ft x 3.5ft x 2ft container) can you fill it up using a no-dig garden recipe, or am I best off just filling it with a lot of bags of potting mix? What is the best way to approach the dirt situation in a really big planter- treat it like small raised garden bed, or treat it like an overgrown container planting? Of course this is up on wheels/stilts, so it won't have the ground contact of most garden beds- but then neither do the beds I've built on top of fully paved areas, really.

Rather excited by the possibilities presented by the shopping trolley. It'll take me a while to make up my mind what I want to try to grow in it!

Comments (3)