SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pepperdave

Container planting Vs In ground

pepperdave
9 years ago

I have always planted in ground for years. Last year I grew a Brown Scorpion in a 4 gal. pot and got 260+ peppers off it.
This year besides the 400 Im growing in the ground I have 15 in containers just for comparison. I was told last year on this forum that you can get much better production in containers.
Rather then just take someones word I decided to do my own comparison.
Seems the ones in pots have gotten taller more Quickly then plants in the ground. They are putting out pods at a very impressive rate There must be something to this. Im impressed in what you can do with a few pots and some 5-1-1 soil.
A few weeks ago when my ground planted peppers were lagging behind I was thinking the advice I got last year was sound and maybe I might rethink things for next year. After all my container plants were larger and not unlike those I see posted here.
Its been a few weeks since that time and things have changed.Although my container plants are taller and actually very impressive my in ground plants although being shorter have grown out much much fuller and are just blowing away the container plants as far as pod set and overall vigor.
I know most people on this forum swear by there 5-1-1 and I can understand that,Im impressed myself after putting together pine bark,Pelite,and peat moss Great Stuff and I see myself using this stuff for years to come.
The thing is Right now its obvious to me that at least in my location Soil wins hands down. My plants in the ground are out doing there 5-1-1 rivals by leaps and bounds.
I know other members are growing in different environments then me and might not get the same result as Im getting but thats why Im starting this trend, I want to hear other members input on this and maybe we can all advance our pepper growing ability.

Comments (34)

Sponsored