SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodswalker88

'Safety turf' rubber mulch

woodswalker88
12 years ago

This was posted under another topic, but I am re-posting cause I am kind of desperate for answers.

I moved to a new house recently and they have this rubber mulch, which I call "Safety Turf", all under the front shrubs. Specifically yews and azaleas.

The realtor thought it had been put there for termite control. Really? The house is that easy for termites to eat? (it was built in 74.)

People worry about the toxic chemicals in this product, but what bothers me is it's a dead zone as far as a real ecosystem. May as well have rubber bushes in there too. At my old house I loved to listen to the crickets sing at night, and for sure there are no crickets here.

There are about 4 inches deep of safety turf, followed by gray weed-control sheets and dead, clay-ey soil. I wonder what would happen if I got a shovel and started removing that safety turf? Suppose I replaced it with some topsoil and real mulch? Should i leave the gray weed sheets? I spose I could leave a little of the safety turf around the trunks of the bushes where I can't reach, and maybe close to the house. Just to stop those termites, y'know.

Does anyone have experience removing this stuff? As far as disposal... I need a parking space at the front of the lawn, I'll use it for that.

Comments (8)