SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Reusing vs composting potting mix (Promix HP)

2ajsmama
9 years ago

I had DH pull my leftover starts and compost the soil from the cells earlier this year - so he decided to do the same with the 13 potted tomatoes I had (2-4gal each)! A wheelbarrow full. It's just dumped on top of the bin, on top of some tomato seedlings that sprouted when he threw the water/skin/seeds from ice water bath (peeling tomatoes) a month ago. He hasn't turned the bin in - forever?

This stuff is expensive, so I had wanted to save the used mix in a bin and use it mixed with fresh next year, not for seedlings, but for larger containers. I wasn't sure about tomatoes (the ones in containers didn't do great this year) but I was thinking of starting some bulbs for Mother's Day plants, or maybe just trying carrots in a container next yet (I wouldn't reuse the mix for tomatoes or peppers).

Can I just take it back out of the compost bin and save it in an 18 gal tote, is letting it freeze going to be good, do I have to sterilize it at all if I'm using it for carrots or ornamentals, or should I just leave it where it is? We use the compost on the house vegetable garden each year, mostly cucurbits, I guess I can be careful to not plant tomatoes there at all next year but I really did want to, my main tomato growing area needs to be rotated next year.

The bin's pretty full, it's about 3x3 (made of old pallets) and I'd say the compost is 4ft deep. Actually, this compost probably won't be used next year, but the year after, since he doesn't turn it often and we have a 3-bin system, the finished stuff will be spread on the veggie garden next spring, the middle bin turned into the last bin, and this will be turned into the middle bin so most of the Promix will end up on the bottom of the middle bin and won't get turned into the last bin until later in the year, possibly used then but most likely not until spring of 2016. Since the middle and 3rd bins are the same size as the first, it takes a while to fill the 3rd bin.

Comments (3)