SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debstuart1

making a small flat terrace...advice needed

debstuart1
16 years ago

hello

I am helping a friend make the property around a tiny new cabin on a pone look nice and provide pleasant spots for sitting.

There is an area which looks out on the pond...flat...about15x20 feet or could be a bit larger...enough for two chairs and a small table. The soil is complete hardpan, no vegetation coming through, gets almost slippery when wet so I assume it's a high proportion of clay.

My question is...I have always worked in pretty sandy, workable soil so I'm not used to this soil. What do I need to do to prepare this hardpan kind of surface for a simple flagstone or bluestone terrace. Can I put the crushed gravel on top of this hardpan and build on that? If I dig down and there is no end to the hardpan or there is rock ledge, what would I do? the area does not have to be lowered...it could be a few inches higher and it would not matter for the space that it is in.

Any websites or links that I should be looking at?

I am a vigorous and fit older gardener with some experience working with setting in stones for paths etc, but I have never actually done a terrace. I have a young guy to help w. the grunt work!

thanks so much for any advice

Deborah

Comment (1)