SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
farmersteve_gw

Veggies I Used to Hate...

farmersteve
15 years ago

...until I grew them for myself. First on the list, cabbage. I never really got into cabbage (except for sour kraut) until I grew it for myself. Now I like it, decent flavor, great texture, and such a big beautiful plant. I just wish it did not take so long to mature.

Next, radishes... Radishes were always too strong. I never had one that was not overpowering, until I grew my own. Now I can't imagine my garden without some springtime radishes.

But mostly, peas... My mom used to force me to eat those darn things. I would pick them out of everything they were mixed in with. My little girl likes them, so I decided to show her where they come from and we grew our first peas last year. I can't believe how good these things are, sweet and firm and just great right off the vine. Many don't make it into the house. We have a great outside snack right there. I don't know what those things were that my mom used to try to sneak by me, but out of the can or frozen, those things just don't cut it. Now I can't get enough.

Some other things that I am trying this year (just because I want to experience them fresh) are turnips, parsnips, and, this fall some Brussels sprouts and kale. Hopefully, if I like them, there will be a few more things to add to the winter garden.

Steve

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus