SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lukener_gw

Ideas for replacing a patch of weeds with something no-mow

lukener
12 years ago

I have a patch of "grass" (all my grass is only weeds, which doesn't bother me too much except the get tall really fast) at the top of a hill which makes it hard for me to push the mower.

What are some no-mow options for up there? Anything is better than the weeds that get out of control, but I am on a VERY limited budget.

My initial idea was to collect ivy clippings from around town and plant those. My other idea was to spread a bunch of wildflower seeds from one of those bulk seed packs. Will it look bad if I just have 1 thing covering that whole area?

I'm really fond of transplants, clippings, seeds (for the price!) But I'm worried I will just get frustrated if my desired plants don't take over fast enough and the weedy-grass comes right back and undoes all my work. How can I avoid this without spending a ton of money on mature plants and mulch

Besides what to plant the next question is how to get the weedy mess down to a neutral bed in which to plant the new things? Right now we have it mowed pretty short and I put a big tarp over the area to try to kill everything so I can start from scratch. Do you think I'll need to rent a tiller?

Thank you so much for your advice, ideas or warnings. I attached a picture from earlier in the summer when we hand pulled all the weeds and sprayed roundup but they came back with a vengeance.

Thank you!!!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (5)