SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grullablue

groundcover or other ideas for non-mow-able space

grullablue
14 years ago

We have a space between our deck and a rock wall, maybe 2.5--3 feet wide, that is not wide enough for the mower to get to, because of our deck being in the way. So we use the weed wacker there when we get to it...otherwise it gets insanely overgrown. Hubby was thinking about puttingn down some fabric, then some rock there. I have two issues with that...I've never had good luck with fabric, first off, and secondly, I'm afraid if we get a lot of rain, the rock may wash out down the rock wall into the grass below.

What about a very fast growing, invasive groundcover? It would get some sun morning sun, until the sun disappears from straight overhead. This would be on the east side of my deck where I'd consider planting. The only place it would be able to spread is under the deck (deep shade, obviously, so possibly not thrive under there), into the yard where it would just be mowed off anyway...or if it were to somehow seed itself between the rocks in the rock wall, which I really woudln't mind either, since we get weeds growing between the rocks as well.

Any ideas for this area? I would love something low growing to grow there to keep out the ugly weeds, and keep me from having to use the weed eater along that strip, and I'm just not sure about the landscape fabric/rock idea...

Angie

Comments (4)