SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alexander3_gw

what lies beneath (mushrooms!)

alexander3_gw
13 years ago

Hello,

This spring I planted several paw paw seeds in 3 liter soda bottles. Most of them are in the 5-1-1 mix. About a month ago, looking through the sides of the bottles, I noticed fuzzy mold suddenly growing throughout the mix in a few of the containers with the 5-1-1 mix. A few days after that, several of the spots of mold were forming more solid masses that grew pretty fast, and I realized that the mold was actually mushrooms! I think it is Leucocoprinus birnbaumii, aka yellow houseplant mushroom.

Only one of the fruiting bodies poked through the top surface of the soil, and it quickly dried out, probably since the surface of the mix gets morning sun through a window (the body of the bottle is shaded). It was quite inconspicuous. If the containers were not clear, I would probably have no idea that this is going on! Several years ago, I had a bunch of these mushrooms show up in a terrarium, it was a beautiful display. I wonder how often they simply grow beneath the soil, and we don't see them?

Alex

Comments (2)