SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gb1200

Help w/ Backyard Privacy

gb1200
11 years ago

Hey all, my wife and I have a small but cute 1920's California bungalow. It's a great starter home for us but unfortunately our backyard is small and there is a large apartment complex behind us (that takes up the majority of the land 3/4 vs our 1/4 I would say). The backyard is mostly covered by a wooden deck and in one corner we have a nice gazebo. The fence in the picture was added by the previous owners. The distance from the fence to our house is 12' and about 7' from the end of the roof. While I wish we had a bigger backyard and a house behind us rather than an apartment (nothing we can do about that), at the very least we'd like to do a better job in creating privacy in our space.

I'm looking for a couple suggestions on what type of plants/trees/vines would work and the best way to plant them?

For vines can I add some poles that run up like 20 feet with wire across?

For tree's, what types can grow in planters (or do I remove one or two planks from my deck and plant them in the ground) that can create a large enough privacy screen while still giving us space to walk around in our backyard without making it feel even smaller.

Thanks!

Comments (5)