SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cjra_gw

Bushes/shrubs along street

cjra
14 years ago

I'm in So. Texas, stuck in a drought. We h ave a fairly wide area outside our fence line which has now been planted with assorted drought tolerant plants, and then there's the bermuda grass the city put in when they gave us sidewalks. They also put St A in in part of that area which hasn't survived.

The question has to do with the small strip, maybe 1-2ft wide between the sidewalk and the street. The St A the city put in also died (really died, not just dormant) and I really don't want more water-hogging grass in a drought. I'd like to put some sort of bushes into this strip, something which will fill in well but not necessarily a hedge. For some reason the picture in my head of a hedge here looks really silly. There's also a stop sign on this corner, so I need something I can control fairly well so as not to block the stop sign or the view of the traffic. And drought tolerant.

Any suggestions? I don't want crepe myrtles (I already have 5 30 ft tall ones which are wonderful, we don't need more).

I'll post a link to an old picture (the fence line has been filled in with plants which are doing well, and the grass is mostly dead now, but you can see the strip I'm talking about).

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Street edge

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths