SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
reneecd_gw

Angle of slope for a vegetative buffer between grades

reneecd
17 years ago

Hello,

I am preparing to have my backyard regraded and I have a technical design question. I hope you don't mind sharing your knowledge and experience.

There is an upper 150 sq ft quadrant adjacent to the house that currently has a 10% slope (1 ft drop per 10 ft), after which the slope levels out to a 3% grade. The intended use of this upper area is a raised bed vegetable garden. The plan calls for filling in the upper area to bring it up to a 3% grade, and ending this terrace in a vegetative buffer, i.e. a planted bank, to span the 2 ft transition down to the large lower level (to be an open expanse of lawn bordered by native shrubs and trees). A series of stone steps along the side will provide access between the two areas. It is my understanding that no retaining wall is needed to prevent erosion as long as the transitioning bank has no more than a 33 degree angle. A 33 degree angle seems preferable to me aesthetically, but I am still a bit concerned about erosion.

My question is - what would you recommend for the angle of the bank based on your expereince, both in terms of aesthetics and erosion control? The bank will be planted with low growing shrubs and clumping perennials. A bank three ft in width would span the 2 ft vertical transition with a 33 degree angle. However, the bank could span up to five feet (limited by shade trees bordering the lower area) with a 20 degree angle.

Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Renee

Comments (2)